Postby Felipe de España » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:21 pm

Glad to see some of the same ol' folks on this website as
I see on San Gorgonio's. Been a long time since I hit the
summit of San Jacinto. Tend to spend more time in the
Sierra's and San Gorgonio's Wilderness. Outside of C2C
(tram or no no tram) which is the best route to San Jacinto
out of Idyllwild? Sites with water, good camp sites and permit
process?
Thanks for any reply to this sites newest virgin.
See ya at the top.
Felipe
Felipe de España

Postby zippetydude » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:03 pm

Lo siento, Felipe, pero no te puedo ayudar.

I checked out the camping on that side, but it's hard to beat the Sierras or San G. Also, the only trail I've done from that side is the Marion Mountain trail up to the peak, and it's a tough one. With San J, I tend to commute, or stay in Palm Springs (the Hyatt is right by the C2C entrance!) and kinda mix it up a bit - tough hike, then a nice dinner and a sleep in a soft bed...

The PCT coming up from Snow Creek is a really cool trail, though it's a bit long (31 miles) if you take it through to the tram to come back down.

Good luck over there.

z
zippetydude

Thanks Zip.

Postby Felipe de España » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:43 am

Would Marion Trail be about the same as Vivian Creek
to the Summit? You know, mas o menos?
Thanks for the reply partner.
Felipe
Felipe de España

Postby Martin Johnson » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:43 am

There are several ways to the summit from Idylwild. Marion Mt. is the shortest and most direct. The grade is relatively steep in the lowest section, the first few miles, than it calms down somewhat. In comparison to Vivian Creek, it has that same steep push at the start, but Marion Mountain is not as long, both in actual mileage and feel.
The most popular route to the summit is out of Humber Park to the saddle and then on to the summit via Wellman's. This one feels more like Vivian Creek, including in the number of people on the trail.
Deer Springs will also get you to the top, though by the longest route. Not many dayhikers do this route, though it certainly is possible.
A favorite of mine is the the Fuller Ridge Trail. beginning at a more remote trailhead, the views are the most spectacular...down and across Snow Creek...and it is far and away the most uncrowded.
Finally, another favorite route is up from Humber Park, going straight at the Saddle towards Skunk Cabbage, up to the saddle where an overused and restricted body of water is located, around the rim of Round Valley, up to Wellman's, to the Summit, if you please, and then back to the Saddle and down to Humber. A full day of glory!
I've been meandering through these mountains since I was 10 or so (I'm now 51) and I just can't get enough. I love them dearly. The Sierra are sublime (As a teacher I get up there about once a week in the summer) and San G is spectacular too, but San Jacinto feels like a private paradise, despite the weekend crowds.
I hope to see you up there. I'm going up next week.
Martin Johnson

Mucho gracias!

Postby Felipe de España » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:14 pm

Z., Martin,
Thanks for the reply.
Fellow educator? 51? Martin.
It's my B. Day today- the big 47.
Maybe we'll have to touch base someday Martin
and bag a peak along with our friends and a good
bottle of Rioja wine, Fine goat cheese all from the
homeland or........
your call!