San Jac Wilderness Legends

General Palm Springs area.

San Jac Wilderness Legends

Postby LAMike » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm new to the area and wondered if there are any local legends associated with the San Jacinto Wilderness, like alien sightings, lost mines, cryptids (yeti, bigfoot, mothman, etc.) or other paranormal abnormalities? or is it pretty much pretty normal? :shock:
LAMike

Postby zippetydude » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Welcome to the area!

With regard to your question, there's persistent speculation that the administrator of this board is an alien. He floats over trails and never gets tired. Hmmm.

z
zippetydude

Postby Martin Johnson » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:01 pm

This website has 2 kinds of horror stories, a supernatural one and a natural one. You choose which is more threatening.
http://www.americanscientist.org/templa ... nid=baa9...
Martin Johnson

Postby LAMike » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks Martin...
now THAT's a legend: a large man with a pet snake that captures young women wandering alone, and makes the earth move as they call out his name. who wrote THAT one? (laughing)
LAMike

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:35 am

Hi LAMike, what a cool idea for a post! I hope everyone will feel free to make up some legends as we go!

The Tahquitz legend, as i have heard it, is that he was originally a human being, a tribal shaman who grew so magically powerful that the other tribe members couldn't control him anymore; they had to supply him with young women, whose souls (and perhaps other parts) he lusted for. He ate their souls and killed them. Finally, somehow or other, the tribe managed to wall him up under the canyon. That's why there are rumblings coming of there. Flashes of blue light and rumblings are associated with Tahquitz. And that's why it is not considered safe to go into Tahquitz Canyon. I personally have never been in there.

Other legends ... hm. The crazy homeless guy who was living up by the picnic tables and attacked a group of Canadians, leaving them bloodied ... the naked guy who I myself have seen up above the Desert Museum ...come on folks, let's hear them all ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Perry » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:33 pm

There is the legend of the Eye of the Mountain. It can only be passed down orally and not in writing. Go to the ranger station and ask to speak with Eric, one of the rangers.... (Long Valley RS)

Joshua Tree NP has prospectors' dwellings. They require a lot of hiking to reach and a bit of research.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby LAMike » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm

:D
Thanks! Those are all great... and please keep them coming... but are you going to tell me that in all this wilderness there are no tales of tree people with glowing red eyes? or mysterious lights hovering in remote areas? or strange disappearances that only occur during the hotest summers during leap years?...or?
LAMike

San Jacinto wilderness legends

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:00 pm

We havnt seen Bigfoot yet, but Tahquitz Peak got its name from Takwis which is mentioned more than half way down the following article
http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/legends.htm
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby halhiker » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:47 am

There is a legend about Caramba Camp in the Tahquitz drainage. It is said that the area got it's name from the strange sounds heard during the night by an early group of campers in the area who expressed their dismay with the Spanish word Caramba. I vaguely remember reading about it in San Bernardino Mountain Trails by Robinson.

There are no old mines to my knowledge but there are the remnants of an old cabin and some long stored provisions in the vicinity of the remains. It is down in a small meadow below Wellman Cienega.
halhiker

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains