C2C Last Weekend of March?

General Palm Springs area.

C2C Last Weekend of March?

Postby magikwalt » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:29 am

I am out of town this coming weekend but would like to plan on a trip for the last weekend in March. Anyone developing plans that far out?
magikwalt

Postby KathyW » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:45 am

Muttdog posted that he might be going up on the 31st on the March 17th thread.

I might be headed up on the 31st too - will try to make it all the way to the summit.
KathyW

31 March San Jacinto Hike

Postby muttdog » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:21 am

Hello everyone. I've been talking to Kathy and a few other people about trying to hike San Jacinto on Sat the 31st. I am going to be visiting San Diego on a business trip and arrive on Friday. I hope to get enough sleep for a few hours then make the drive to the museum area to meet everyone for the hike. That is one part I am a little concerned about, having to depart San Diego around 2 or 2:30am to arrive by 4:30am at the museum. It is not the drive I am concerned about but having enough rest/sleep prior to the hike. But either way I want to try it.
My goal is to make it to the top and hope it does not kill me. I had thought about the Deer Springs trail too but have heard there is a lot of snow in that area at the moment. Hopefully the area to the top of the summit using the C2C route is safe enough wearing only Yaktrax traction cramps, non full size crampons. I don't own any full crampons. I have trail runners and mid size hiking boots. I've heard trail runners are fine for the lower section but not sure about up top where there may be snow/icy. I will be sure to bring enough water/food items and the key essentials
( http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html.)
If anyone has any other tips please comment such as the snow/ice conditions higher up.
So as long as you don't mind an amateur going with you I will look forward to meeting everyone and trying to get up this mountain. My only long hike prior to this was Mt Fuji last year and normally do average hikes. This is my way of getting some more long hikes under my belt to prepare for other longer/higher hikes.

Mark
muttdog

Postby KathyW » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:26 am

Muttdog:

I forgot to mention this: doing a hike with 5000 feet of elevation gain two weeks prior to trying the C2C hike is a good idea - it will help prepare you for the C2C hike.

Kathy
KathyW

C2C Last week end of March

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:17 am

I am also planning on the last Saturday in March
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby SoCalTim » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:21 pm

I am also interested in taking the trip up at the end of March.
SoCalTim

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 am

It seems like this Saturday will be busier than last. I am aiming for a 4.30 am start (snow conditions permitting). I thought that it was intersting that a hiking group from Arizona has scheduled C2C. The outdoorsclub is doing Skyline on April 7
http://www.arizonahikers.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5902
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 am

Hi Folks. As of this morning (Thursday) there is definitely snow down to about 7000 feet or even as low as 6000. (yesterday afternoon it appeared to be down to about 4 or 5 thousand) Of course much of it will melt off in the next two days but be aware conditions on Skyline have changed and there will be some degree of snow or ice. Tram to Peak definitely has much more snow.
I will try to post tomorrow (Friday) as to what I can see from down here in Palm Springs.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:03 am

Cynthia - Thanks for the snow report. If I get a chance I will ride the tram on Friday to check out the trail from the top. Hopefully I can get another snow report before then.
Cy Kaicener

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 am

Good idea to take the tram up on Friday, Cy. From what I can see today (Thursday) with here in Palm Sprinbgs, with unaided eye (no binocs) it appears to have mostly melted off below 8000 feet, but there may still be something left on upper Skyline and in the ice chutes, as I think I see a few glints here and there. Just can't tell ...Anyone else have any (better) info? I am not going up this weekend at all, but I know a lot of people are ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains