C2C Last Weekend of March?

General Palm Springs area.

guest Skyliner

Postby guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:51 pm

Hi, I hiked / snowshoed to upper Tamarack from the tram yesterday.
There's 4-8 inches, it's melting fast, but may be freezing at certain elevations, (NWS says 9K ft. is 32-34 at night)

So, I would use real caution if you decided to do Skyline, the shady traverse (7,500 ft) and even the Rocky Ridge( 7K before the trail heads north)) may have ice, or it may just be very muddy & sloppy.
I would ride up the afternoon before & hike down a little if you want to be safe (and it's practical for you).

ss

Guest Skyliner

Postby guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Just to clarify, I hiked to a campground above Round Valley, it begins w/ a T, which is whated I typed in, but it got "changed" to "senstive area", it's not the place w/ fragile plants, it's an area above a campground around the Colligiate Peaks, we got to approx. 9,200 ft.

ss

Postby KathyW » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:32 pm

I think I'm going to wait another week or two before I head up the Skyline Trail again.
KathyW

Postby cynthia23 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:20 am

Thanks for report on conditions, Guest. Kathy W, as it happens I was planning for following weekend (easter weekend) for Skyline anyway, so perhaps we could coordinate re: crazydude's stuff? As mentioned in my other post, we could also consider divvying the stuff and carrying some up, if that's preferred. I'm thinking the pegs could simply be hidden in a nearby rock crevice ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

c2c - last week end of March

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:48 am

I will also go next Saturday instead of tomorrow. As of today there is two inches of snow at Long Valley which would mean a lot more for the last 1000 ft below Long Valley. I will also take some of the litter from Crazydude.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

C2C March 31

Postby Ellen » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Is anyone still planning on C2C tomorrow Saturday March 31? I changed my plans (initially planned on Sunday) in hopes of meeting some of you folks. I hiked to the tram last fall through fresh snow (about the last 1,000 feet of gain) -- I admit it was an experience. The mountain didn't look too bad when I drove by Palm Springs on my way home but obviously that doesn't tell anything about the trail. It looks like the weather would be great.
Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains