does anyone ever DESCEND c2c?

General Palm Springs area.

Postby marmot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:32 pm

im going to try to go up and down cactus to clouds sometime in mid- july. Oh, and im going to start at about 7 or 8 am in the morning, just to be well- rested. And, im not going to bring much water with me, in order to make it more of a challenge. I'm hoping that i will have the flu that day too...
marmot

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:20 pm

I'll bring you up some Otter Pops when you get hot. Or, how about a pizza and a case of cold ones?

z
zippetydude

Postby AlanK » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:24 pm

marmot -- I assume it goes without saying that you'll be wearing a weight belt to make it interesting.
AlanK

C2C

Postby Felipe de España » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am

Glad to see some of the same ol' folks here as I see on the San Gorgonio website.
Been a long time since I hit San Jac.'s summit, tend to be in the Sierra's
and San G.'s wilderness more.
Outside of C2C trail, (tram or-no tram) which one would you folks recommend out of Idillywild(sp)
¡Mucho gracias a todos!
Felipe
Felipe de España

Postby cynthia23 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 am

Marmot, your flu-ridden midday July trip sounds like such fun! Will you consider carrying me on your back? I will diet a few days beforehand!

This reminds me of an actual story: two years ago on July 4th, I went up to the picnic tables at around 10 am. Of course, it was extremely hot, but I was fairly acclimated and was only going for an hour, so knew I could handle it okay. I make it to the tables, then come down--red-faced, sweaty, but not actually dead. As I step into the parking lot (it is now 11 amish, and approximately 110 degrees) I see three young men "gearing up"--i.e. putting on packs, stretching, tying their hiking boots, blah blah. I assume that like me they're just going for a short hike, but just to be on the safe side, I ask them how far they are going. "Oh, we're going to the top," one of the guys blithely assures me. I'm so astounded I don't even know how to reply, but I begin to point out the obvious--it's 110, it's a long way, they have never done it before. "Don't worry," the guy tells me. "We ran the Boston Marathon." I ask them how much water they have. "Two liters." I point out they will quickly get heat exhaustion. "Oh, but it will get a lot cooler soon as we get higher up." Uh, well, no, it won't, actually, I try to explain. It's clear though that nothing I can say will get through to them, and they do tell me they have a cell phone, so I leave, watching as they set off at 11.20 am on July 4th ...no bodies were ever found, so I'm assuming that after thirty minutes or so (which was probably when the two liters of water ran out) they realized the profound error of their ways and came humbly back down. But to even start off in those conditions--what were they thinking? some people do not, in the words of John Gardner, seem to have even the common sense of a barnyard duck ....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby marmot » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 pm

yes, a weight belt would be a good add on to my adventure, but carrying someone else on my back...eh, that might be a little to difficult, but ill consider that...
marmot

Postby zippetydude » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:22 pm

Nah, Cynthia is light, it'd be no problem. Don't forget to carry Crazydude's stuff down with you.

z
zippetydude

Postby marmot » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:06 pm

"Nah, Cynthia is light, it'd be no problem. Don't forget to carry Crazydude's stuff down with you."

it really boils down to what kind of otter pops your going to bring.
marmot

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains