C2C parking?

General Palm Springs area.

C2C parking?

Postby SMB » Wed May 17, 2006 8:09 am

I plan to hike Cactus to Clouds this Sunday for the 1st time. I anticipate an early start (4am?). We are going to hile to the Summit and take the tram back down. Is it easier to hire a taxi in the early morning and drop car off at Tram parking lot, or should I park across from Desert Museum and taxi back to car at hte end of the hike?
SMB

Postby AlanK » Wed May 17, 2006 10:24 am

My $0.02: We always park at the end of Ramon Drive. We called a taxi from the Tram Station the first time we went, but have always managed to bum a ride from tram passengers since then. The taxi is our backup plan.
AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Wed May 17, 2006 3:39 pm

The tram road is gated and locked until about 5:45 a.m., so you're probably going to have to go with the taxi after finishing. The taxi runs about $14.00 plus tip (I just took a taxi for the first time last Saturday, so the info is current.)

Another alternative - I try to drop off a bike at the top of the tram road the day before, then I ride the bike back to the museum parking lot the next day when I finish my C2C adventure. It's convenient and pretty easy (since most of the trip back is downhill) but you do have to make that extra trip up the tram road the day before.

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Wed May 17, 2006 5:10 pm

If I can wake up early enough, I lock up my mountain bike on a log (w/ helmet). The tram does not have a bike rack. Important: check brakes and quick release levers before heading down that road. Also have good shocks and make sure tires are fully-inflated to minimize risk of getting a flat. In an aero position you can blow by the welcome sign at 50 mph. Fun! :-) It would be foolish to pass slow cars on a blind corner because some people will be driving up the road at 50+ mph.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Zanzabar » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:01 pm

If you have two cars, just leave one at the tram overnight lot the night before and drive the other to the trailhead in the morning.
Zanzabar

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains