99 degrees forecast for Friday in Palm Springs!

General Palm Springs area.

Postby KathyW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:25 pm

94 degrees in Redlands, so it must be close to 100 in Palm Springs - it seem that Palms Springs runs 5 to 10 degrees hotter than Redlands.
KathyW

Postby mark b » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:00 pm

I went today to hike from the tram to the summit. The temp at the Long Valley station at 2 p.m. was 81 degs in the sun. The area was clear of snow and ice until the creek crossing. That's where the ice patches begin on the shaded trail. The temp also dropped to 60 degs in that area. Snow & ice are melting fast so the afternoon trail has puddles. By Round Valley there is better than 50% coverage and the trail is slick with ice. To Wellman's Divide there is nearly 100% coverage, hard and slick. I needed every inch of my boots to stay upright. At Wellman's Divide the trail clears. No snow or ice. It stays that way for the next half mile through the manzinita (East facing). After that the snow got deeper than before. After pushing a quarter mile through this snow I stopped when I wasn't sure what was trail and what was just wandering tracks. The temp was 53 degs. At 3.75 miles from Long Valley I decided to turn around.
mark b

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains