March 17 - Skyline Trail and beyond?

General Palm Springs area.

March 17 - Skyline Trail and beyond?

Postby KathyW » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:49 pm

I think it's time for me to try this one again on Saturday. I realize I can wear my trail runners all the way from Palm Springs to Long Valley, but will they work for the trek from Long Valley to the summit?

I have a feeling I'll be out of steam when I get to Long Valley and will go down from there, but I can always dream about making it all the way to San Jacinto.

Has anyone hiked from Long Valley to the summit of San Jacinto in the last week?

Is anyone else headed up on Saturday?
KathyW

Cactus to Clouds this Saturday

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:42 am

This might be the incentive and inspiration I need to go beyond the tram. :)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:41 am

Hi KathyW, glad you posted this. I and a group of other people are going tram-to-peak on Saturday March 17th. You're welcome to hook up with us of course, but if you are hiking from the bottom it's not likely we will reach the upper tram station at the same time! We will take the 8 am tram up (at least that is the plan--we'll see...)

Anyway, like you, I am anxious to know what current conditions are from uppertram station to peak--any need for crampons and axe? Has anyone hiked the trail recently?

Info much appreciated ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby KathyW » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:58 pm

Cy: I'll plan on starting at 4:30 am on Saturday.

Cynthia: I hope I see you out there.

Unless I hear back on conditions, I guess I'll wear trail runners and hope the path is beaten from Long Valley to the summit if I go that far.
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Kathy: I usually wear trail running shoes, but put gaiters on if I'm going to be in snow. Do you have gaiters? That combo is the lightest, still works well, and is especially nice if you are doing the lower section, it feels a lot easier in running shoes than in boots.

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:23 am

thanks zip - that's a good idea - i'll bring my gaiters.
KathyW

March 17 - Skyline Trail and beyond

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:52 am

Kathy,Pam and myself made it up to the tram in seven and three quarter hours on a hot day with some cloud cover from the 5500 foot level onwards.
Kathy went on to bag the peak while the rest of us could not resist a free ride down from Sid of Alaska who caught up to us at Long Valley with Doreen who has now climbed this trail 225 times.
It was the first time for Pam who is training to do 22000 ft Alpamayo or Ampato in Peru.
There was a guy without a shirt ahead of us which we suspect could have been Zippydude. I am hoping Kathy will give us a trip report on her push upwards.
http://www.alpamayoperu.com/
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:54 am

Chuck and I also made the trip yesterday. It was Chuck's first time up and we completed in 7:40. His wife is still wondering how at 56 he had the energy. My Achilles survived without too much swelling and should be okay for another trip later this month.

That shirtless guy was ZippyDude and he passed us around 6300ft. Amazing to see someone toting a 32oz. Gatoraide bottle and nothing else. We saw him 500ft or so below us and the next thing we knew he was coming through. I kept waiting for a cape to unfurl.
magikwalt

Cactus to under the clouds.

Postby KathyW » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:17 am

It was great hiking up to Long Valley with Cy and Pam - even on such a hot day (72 degrees when we started just after 4:30 am and it soon got hotter). It was nice to meet Sid and Doreen at Long Valley - Congratulations Doreen on 225 consecutive trips up the Skyline Trail.

Well, I didn't go all the way to the peak but I did go out to Round Valley. I still had plenty of time to make the peak, but I just didn't have the ambition or energy to do that last 1800 feet of gain. It's a lot easier to turn around when you're on your own - no peer pressure.

They did charge me the $11 for the ride down on the tram, but I got lucky and was able to share a cab back to the museum with 2 other people who got dropped off first and paid the bulk of the cab fair. The driver only charged me $1 plus tip for the ride.

Maybe in April if I can get someone to go with me I'll push all the way on to the summit and do the whole Cactus to Clouds hike instead of the Cactus to under the Clouds hike like yesterday. Yesterday's hike was about 14 miles with 9100 feet elevation gain, so going to the summit would make it about 18 or 19 miles with just under 11000 feet elevation gain.

The trail to Round Valley was easy to hike in Trail Runners - a mix of a couple of inches of hard packed snow in places and clear trail in other places. Round Valley is melted out. I'm guessing that it would be hard packed snow most of the way to Wellman's Divide and then a mixe of hard packed snow and clear trail to the summit.

Here are pictures I took:

http://kathywing.smugmug.com/gallery/2595456/1/136826410#136826410
KathyW

Postby glamisking » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:48 am

So running shoes worked but should I bring gaiters to summit this week? I am thinking some time mid-week. Anyone else skiping work?
glamisking

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains