Big Horn Sheep Question

General Palm Springs area.

Big Horn Sheep Question

Postby cray » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:55 pm

I hiked the skyline trail last Oct. for my first time. My friends and I had a great time. While hiking we noticed a sign that wanted you to stay off the trail form Dec to June because of the sheep berthing. Sounds like people are hiking this trail year round. Does anyone know what’s up with this sign, is it a law or a suggestion :?:
Clark Ray
cray

Postby phydeux » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:08 pm

Did the sign say "sheep" or possibly deer? Not sure if bighorn have expanded there range to the Skyline area, but that would be pretty cool to see some there!

I know spring camping was banned in the Tamarak Valley area up until about 10 years ago due to it being used as a birthing area by pregnant deer. There also was a trail from Tamarak to the SJ summit abandoned in about 1980 for the same reason.
phydeux

Postby cynthia23 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:23 pm

It's a law, not a suggestion. However, since there is basically one BLM ranger fo the whole Coachella Valley--and I happen to know he doesn't like to hike--you are not likely--to say the least--to be caught. A greater likelihood is being struck dead by a meteorite. If you were caught, you would probably just get a warning, but you might get a fine. You aren't going to jail for it. No one that I know of has ever been cited. However, there are definitely Bighorn up there. I have seen them, and there are often trackers from the Bighorn institute out there watching them. You have to decide for yourself if you want to hike during the lambing months. We are told it does disrupt or agitate them. Of course, it seems to me that building a giant development in Chino Canyon would be a tad more disruptive to the Bighorns than even a hundred hikers, but that's another matter ....

If you do decide to hike, I would suggest small groups or singletons, and keeping as quiet as possible--no shouting back and forth. However, I'm told that they are incredibly sensitive and even small amount of noise and movement upset them. Don't know what to say. Since the law is completely ignored, there has been discussion of repealing it, and instead some sort of quota or permit system to at least control the numbers ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby cray » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks for the information. Probably won’t disrupt the sheep, but it nice to know that if we do decide to hike it’s not that big of a deal.
Clark Ray
cray

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains