Trail Running in Palm Springs area

General Palm Springs area.

Trail Running in Palm Springs area

Postby wasatchrunner » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:54 am

I'm going to be in Palm Springs March 18-22 for a conference and would like to get in some trail running while visiting. I've read about the Cactus to Clouds hike, it sounds fun but not sure if I will have the time. Are there some other good trails to run on from the museum trailhead? Are there some other good trailheads close to the edge of Palm Springs? I'm looking to squeeze in some hour long runs with maybe time for one in the three hour range. I don't mind getting in some verticle since I'm used to running in the Wasatch Mountains. It would also be great to hook up with people to run with.

Thanks, Jeff
wasatchrunner

Postby zippetydude » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:40 am

Doing an out-and-back trip on Skyline (Cactus to Clouds) would be fun. You get great views almost right away, so that would fit the 1 hour time frame. For your longer outing, I'd recommend the PCT going north from Snow Creek. It's only 10 minutes or so out the 111 from Palm Springs, and it's a very runnable trail. Great views as well. I don't really know any of the desert trails, perhaps someone who does will give you some ideas.

Too bad you don't have longer - a trip to the peak in the snow (since you're a mountain man) would probably be ideal. Hope you have fun.

z

Ps I was curious about the mountains where you run, so I Googled it, then looked in the Wikipedia reference that came up. Here's a weird story from the article:

"The Utes told me what the word 'Wasatch' means. They said that one time many Indians lived there between Heber and Provo. One day the men were out hunting when a big blizzard came up and they lost one of the hunters. When they found him he was dead and his penis was frozen stiff. They therefore called the place Wuhu' Seai Frozen Penis. Francis McKinley, a Ute Indian Chief, tells the same story."

Ew.
zippetydude

trail run suggestions for Jeff

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:10 pm

re: trail-running: Zippetydude has some good suggestions, but those are all for uber-fit ultrarunners (like Zippety!) Also, there could be ice on some of these locations. We don't know where Jeff is at on the running continuum (we know Z is somewhere like 10!) My more low-key (but still good workout) suggestion is the South Lykken trail (the trailhead is at the very end of Mesquite; you must park lower down on the street near the old car dealership--NOT in the Tahquitz Canyon parking lot as they don't like that.) That trail is about a nice hour (at my slow speed!), 1000ftplus gain, has some flatter stretches. If Jeff has more time, a really great moderate trail-run is the Art Smith trail off Highway 74 in Palm Desert. This will give him a nice rolling run through the Santa Rosas with about 2000 gain; can be about sixteen miles or more if you go all the way to Palm Springs or Cathedral City; goes through a couple of palm oases, usually takes me a couple of hours. If you want more details Jeff PM me ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby KathyW » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Where do you park for the Art Smith Trail?
KathyW

Postby cynthia23 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:47 pm

Parking for Art smith is very easy. You go up 74 toward the mountain, through Palm Desert. YOu pass Bighorn Golf Club. Just as you pass (on the left/south side of the highway) The Santa Rosa monument center. In another second, on the right side will be the turn off to the ARt smith Trail. There is a big sign. Just pull in and park in the lot. Sometimes they close the ARt Smith trail becuz of the bighorns. You can either ignore the closure and just walk around the fence (of course, I would NEVER do this),or take the detour onto the Hopalong Cassidy trail, which then takes you up to the Art Smith. The HC trail just adds a little more distance (not much.)

Back to the parking lot--if you find yourself on 74 and going into the mountains, you've gone too far. The parking lot is just before the road starts to twist and rise ....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby wasatchrunner » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 am

Thanks for the info everyone. And to answer the question about my fitness level. I am in pretty decent shape and used to doing a lot of vertical. My favorite terrain to run is mountainous single track.
wasatchrunner

Postby KathyW » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:50 pm

Cynthia: Thanks for the info on the Art Smith Trail.
KathyW

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains