Skyline 2-19-07

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline 2-19-07

Postby AlanK » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:47 pm

Eric and I aimed for Cactus to Clouds today. It would have been our 8th time. Instead, I wussed out and we settled for doing the Skyline Trail to Long Valley, which we affectionately know as “Cactus to Tram.” I have been nursing a sore knee for several weeks. I did some running this week which, contrary to common sense, helped. So, I got up my nerve for the hike. However, the knee was getting pretty stiff by Long Valley. I decided that I could not take the well-deserved crap I would get at home if I was limping around for another week (or more). So, I decided to live to hike another day. As it turned out, I am walking pretty nicely here at home, so it seems to have worked. (I do not mean to make light of knee trouble. I am just not used to it – My limitations are lower down. If this happens again, I will take it more seriously.)

It was an interesting day, despite climbing “only” 8000+ feet. We started at 4:42 AM. The temperature was 55 F, but it quickly fell to 50 and the rain started around 5:00. This was the first time on the trail that I was actually wanting the sun to come up. Usually, that means more than enough heat. Today, I just wanted a little bit. The rain let up around sunup.

As we climbed higher, we could wee that spots below the tram that had been snow free were white. Indeed, we ran into fresh snow at about 6000’. It was never very deep, but we got good and wet brushing against snow-covered bushes. It also cooled off as we ascended. At Long Valley, which we reached at 9:24 (not one of our speedier ascents, thanks to me), it was 36 F.

We saw no one from the time we left the car until Long Valley. That and the rain were firsts for us on this hike.

We did have one nice animal sighting. Eric surprised a rattlesnake before dawn. It was coiled in the middle of the trail, in the rain and 50 degree temperatures. We got some nice pictures before it slithered away. We did not recognize the species, which had raccoon-like tail coloring. (I realize that a snake is all tail, so I really refer to the last few inches before the rattles.) A ranger in the State Park shop at the tram stop told us it sounded like a Red Diamond Rattler, which is not all that common this far north of Baja. Sure enough, where was a picture of an identical snake in a book called “Desert Snakes,” which I promptly bought.

http://alank.smugmug.com/gallery/2492367#130809242
Last edited by AlanK on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Wow. I'm glad you posted - I really thought that rattlers were dormant this time of year, and I will run a very different run from now on over there in the San J area.

Curse those illiterate snakes - apparently that particular snake can read neither maps nor calendars, as he was out in the wrong place at the wrong time. That could have easily been disastrous, so I'm glad you guys have sharp eyes. Who knows, maybe that knee slowed you down just enough to avoid a really lengthy rehab!

Funny how many snakes there are over in the San J wilderness. I've seen snakes about 1/2 of my trips there, and have never seen a snake in the San G wilderness, even though I have done probably twice as many trips there. Perhaps the San G snakes are better readers, or have practiced their stealth techniques a bit more.

z
zippetydude

Snakes in San J

Postby dhstein313 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:27 am

I rarely see snakes in San G. The explanation that I was given is that snakes rarely are seen above 7000 ft and a high percentage of San G is well above 7000. The highest I have ever seen a rattler was on Sugarloaf at just above 8000.

D
dhstein313

Postby AlanK » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:38 am

Z'dude -- Eric was in the lead, which is not particularly unusual, and spotted the snake in the dark. Eric knows to keep a sharp eye on the trail, but we were both quite surprised to see a snake under those conditions. Duly warned, we then used headlamps until the sun came up. :)

FWIW, the altitude was no more than 2000'.
AlanK

Skyline 2-19-07

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:00 pm

Thanks for the trip report Alan - I am surprised a rattler was out on such a cool day. I am also surprised that snow was down to 6000 ft. The Palm Springs Tramway weather report from Long Valley has been saying that there has been no precipitation at all. I too have a knee problem especially on the downhill, so I can sympathise.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains