Cactus 2 Clouds question

General Palm Springs area.

Cactus 2 Clouds question

Postby Dirthead » Mon May 15, 2006 3:17 pm

Would this be the place to ask about doing the C2C trail on a mountain bike?

Has anyone here seen or know about anyone mtn. biking this trail?

Yes it would be a painful hike-a-bike, but I've climbed (pushed)10K in a day in up Silver Canyon in the White Mountains.

Thoughts?
Dirthead

Postby Perry » Mon May 15, 2006 3:49 pm

It's not exactly legal, but it's not the biggest crime of the century. You would have to watch out for snakes on the way down. The trail is very rocky with single track and tight turns.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Dirthead » Tue May 16, 2006 10:57 am

I do know that the top is Wilderness area, and I stay out of those areas.

This is why we don't take the tram up - we have to hike up to almost the top...

I guess I'll have to find out what the BLM and Forest Service means when they state they "don't recongize" the trail.
Dirthead

Postby Guest » Thu May 18, 2006 11:00 pm

Mountainbiking the trail could be cool, but unless you just love the technical downhill stuff, the first/last 4 miles are mostly so steep that "riding" would not mean flying along down a single track dirt trail - it would mean negotiating rock areas that are steep, sort of like stairs in many parts. If you love doing that, and I've seen some guys that are really amazing at doing it on other trails so I know it can be done, then this might be a blast for you.

If that's not really your favorite thing, 4 miles is a long way to carry a bike up a mountain. After the first 4 miles, you can probably ride it most of the next 5, then the last 2 to 3 miles would be steeper but less rocky than the first section.

All in all, a long way to carry a bike, but it could be fun if you take your time on the way up and go with a couple of buddies so you can help out with the compound fractures, etc. (Just kidding)

If you go for it, I hope you'll post and fill us all in. By the way, the Ramon entrance would be much easier for going up than starting behind the museum if you're carrying your bike - you could probably ride part of route if you start from there.

z

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains