Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm

A friend of mine, local hiker, did skyline about a week ago. He said he did not need crampons or an ice axe. It sounds like the peak trail has ice, based on what people have said a week or two ago. The north face still has white streaks coming down (couloirs).
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Rick F » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Thanks for the report on conditions. The information you have provided is very helpful. We are a go for Saturday!

-Rick
Rick F

Snow conditions on the Skyline Trail

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:31 pm

As of today barring any new storms, there is no snow on the Skyline trail up to the tram except for small patches at the side of the trail which can be avoided.
Long Valley is bare of snow but there could still be ice near the peak.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Rick F » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Conditions, Saturday Feb. 17, 2007. Driving up we encountered some gusty Santa Ana winds on Highway 79 & I-10 through the pass. We rode the tram up and hiked to the summit. The first three miles of the trail was 90% packed snow and ice (from the Ranger Station to Wellman Junction). The second half, had ice & snow in only the mostly shaded areas. We were looking forward to getting some experience in winter conditions. We brought snow shoes, ice axes and crampons although we never needed to use them. About half way up, Rangers suggested that we put on crampons to get through the ice for the last north to south traverse to the saddle below the summit. But, we found that the small patches of ice could be avoided. It was a near perfect weather day, mostly sunny with only a slight breeze. The views were superb. We were comfortable enough on the summit to take a half hour lunch break. Although we passed others coming and going on the trail we had the summit to ourselves.

-Rick F.
Rick F

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:31 pm

I'm sure the conditions are much different today because of the snow that fell last night and additional snow that may be falling tonight. There is a possibility of powder snow on top of ice.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:38 pm

Went to the peak today. Boy was I wrong about the snow. Long Valley was almost all bare dirt, so whatever fell mostly melted in the sun. Probably whatever is still left on Skyline will disappear over a few days. From Miller saddle to the peak (direct route) there is some real great snowshoeing!
Perry
Site Admin

Snow (if any) trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:33 pm

As of now we have five people planning on doing Skyline/ Cactus to Clouds
on Saturday March 3rd leaving the museum at 5 am. This Saturday depends on what the current storm deposits.
Update
Today Saturday 24 there was six inches of snow at Long Valley.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:22 pm

I went to the peak Saturday evening (w/ headlamp), and there was more snow coverage than Tuesday. It's possible to follow the beaten path to the summit and not need snowshoes, but it will likely turn icy soon.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Does the beaten path mean the normal trail, or a more direct cross country route?

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:24 pm

Sorry for being vague. The beaten path generally follows the trail to Round Valley and Wellman's. For the direct route to the Jean bowl, you might want snowshoes just below 10,000 feet, but you'll have to carry them a lot beforehand to avoid damage. At Miller Saddle you'll *need* snowshoes to take the direct route to the summit, or crampons for the trail, if it's frozen over in early morning or evening. Afternoon might be slushy, might be icy in some spots.
Perry
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains