Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Newmountaineer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Does anyone know what the current snow conditions are up there? I was hoping perhaps there was a little more snow from the last couple days.
Newmountaineer

Postby Perry » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:09 pm

It was all white but melted very fast today. With the warm temperatures of last week, I'm guessing there's a lot of ice.
Perry
Site Admin

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Hi Rob - I will be taking the 10 o clock tram up after walking up the road. I will bring my car up and give you a ride back to the museum.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

alternate route?

Postby wanderwoman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:30 pm

is anyone heading out from another trailhead than long valley?
wanderwoman

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi Wanderwoman. My brother and I are thinking about going up the PCT, maybe making it to the peak, but quite readily turning around if we run into icy, treacherous conditions.

You could always hit the trail with us. The only drawback would be that the distance may be extreme. If we find ice 20 or 25 miles in that we can't get past, we'll end up running the same distance back down to the car. If you already run ultras, 40-50 miles won't be a big deal for you. If ultras are not your thing, it might not be a great route for you.
As a rule of thumb, figure 8+ hours to the peak on a clear trail (total distance 31 miles, 13,000+ total elevation gain) if we can make it through, otherwise between 30 and 50 miles roundtrip since we'd have to go back out the way we came in.
z
zippetydude

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 am

Did anyone go up Skyline this last weekend. I would be interested to know if there is any ice at the 7500 ft traverse where the trail is very narrow and down sloping over a steep dropoff.
Rain is predicted for this weekend so I hope i can beat it by going on Friday.
Another weather website predicts rain for Thursday.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:59 pm

It doesn't look like the rain is supposed to come to Palm Springs until Sunday. I might head up the Skyline trail Saturday morning if the weather looks okay - not sure how high I'll go.
KathyW

Snow - (if any) Trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:53 am

I just received the news that Lili (Salmonlov) made it up to Long Valley in five hours. Congratulations. Snow on the trail is spotty and almost gone at Long Valley. There is a slight chance of new snow tomorrow.
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:51 am

I got up yesterday morning and decided it wasn't going to be my day for the Skyline trail, so I headed to Joshua tree and did the short hike to Mary Peak. I ran into Joe and Sooz about after I had come down about 800 feet from the summit, so I headed back up to the summit with them for a second time.

It was beautiful in JT yesterday - almost hot.
KathyW

Postby Rick F » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:24 pm

Cy,

Thanks for steering me to this board. I called the Ranger Station and the report is daytime high temps in the 40's and night-time low temps in 20's. So it is likely that snow melt in the day is re-freezing into ice over night making icy trails in the morning through Long Valley. Based on this limited information, I am concluding that there is deeper snow accumulated higher up on the eastern slope approaching the summit. This warrants bringing crampons.

If anyone has been up there in the last week, it would be great to get some current first-hand reports that give some indication of trail conditions and how deep the snow is.

Thanks,
-Rick
Rick F

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains