Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

Postby + @ti2d » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:04 am

I am heading up the Easy Way this weekend just to take in the views. Trail condtions from the tram to Round Valley? Wellman's Divide? Up the "south face" or is it west face? Bringing crampons, ice axe, and definitely the cold weather gear. Any report would be appreciated. Thank you.
+ @ti2d

Postby phydeux » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:45 pm

As of this morning the tram was closed due to a burst water pipe at the top ($@#%&!? freezing weather!). Not supposed to open until its fixed, and I wouldn't expect that until Sunday. Bummer :(
phydeux

Postby + @ti2d » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:49 am

Thank you, Phydeux. Saved me a lot of gas and a lot of !@#*#@! words!
+ @ti2d

Snow (if any) trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:36 am

That would be a real bummer for anyone that made it to the top of the Skyline trail. :(
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:52 am

The recording for the tram says they reopened on Saturday with the first car at 8:00am. One of the tram operators told me they did over 3000 people on Christmas day. I'll bet they can afford a plumber even on emergency hours.
magikwalt

Postby phydeux » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Cool! I was going to go up on Saturday, but aborted until next weekend when I checked the website Friday after work and it said it would be closed due to a ruptured pipe at the upper station. At $21 per rider, and with the amount of $$$ they'd loose on a Saturday, I guess they CAN get a plumber out there no matter what time of day or the cost! At least it forced me to quit procrastinating and finish some tile work at home. :wink:
phydeux

Postby + @ti2d » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:39 am

Cy...

Yes, if I were a C2C hiker and saw the tram shut down, I would be saying to myself, "Now, how in the hell..." and a few more choice words to boot!
+ @ti2d

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Has anyone been up cactus to clouds lately and if so, what are the snow conditions. The outdoorsclub.org has scheduled a cactus to clouds hike at 9 am on Friday February 9th. They have to be pretty fast to get back to the tram from the peak starting that late.
The chair lift at Mt Baldy now charges the outrageous sum of fifteen dollars R/T
for a 1300 ft ride. The tram is 5900 feet for only six dollars more unless you go up often and get get an annual pass.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Hike up to San Jacinto peak....

Postby salmonlov » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:46 pm

Thank you Cy,

That was pretty sweet of you to worry about my group which is going on San Jacinto Peak Feb 8. I'd try to climb there the week before...maybe take the easy way first, just to see how trail are when I get back from Utah....Sure would love you join us. If any problem, I'd always modify hike a little here and there..........

I am a bit fast hiker...and could slow a bit too.....I'd great appreciate you join my group...and you might give me some suggestions...since you have been on that trails often...Thank you Bunch!!!

Maybe you would like to hike with me that next weekend when I got back Utah????
Lili
salmonlov

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:12 am

Hi Lili - I can hike with you any day except Sunday. I hike the Skyline trail almost every Saturday leaving the museum at first light which I think is between 6.30 and 7.00 am. I can start a little later also. Have a good trip in Utah and welcome to SJ.info I am not a fast hiker, but can invite someone who will be able to keep up with you.
Cy Kaicener

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains