Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:07 am

Did you go last weekend Cy? I'm wondering if it's icy or not. Any word?

z
zippetydude

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi Stan - I was on Mt Baldy last Saturday, but am wondering about conditions for this Saturday as nights have been well below freezing for several days. It looks like I will have to take the tram up tomorrow.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby RJSUSC » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Hey Cy, Stan,

Keep us posted, I'm thinking of heading up C2C this Friday....
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:05 pm

There was one inch of snow up at Long Valley this morning. I rode the tram but did not hike much.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby jim » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:01 pm

zippetydude wrote:Did you go last weekend Cy? I'm wondering if it's icy or not. Any word?

z

Hi,

I'm new to this board, but I hike around in the SanJ area occasionally, and I did the granny trail from the tram last Sunday, the 21st.

The trail had a bit of ice from the ranger's station to the first creek crossing. You could dodge it easily enough though. After the creek, it quickly turned to all firm snow. Snow was increasingly deep as you went up, but nice to walk on, all the way to wellmans.

From wellmans heading east there was an increase in ice due to melt and refreeze, but the short section of trail that links Jean to SanJ was awesome. Really dry and cold, the snow was deep enough to posthole occasionally and was blowing around in the wind. Someone had gone through with snowshoes, maybe the day before, but I just had boots.

In the end I "summited" Miller Peak, just for something different. Temps all day ranged b/w 18-32deg.F.

I have a couple of photos that would illustrate, but don't see a way to upload them. If interested, let me know and I can email.

hth,
Jim
jim

Snow/trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:23 am

RJSUSC wrote:Hey Cy, Stan,

Keep us posted, I'm thinking of heading up C2C this Friday....

I am interested to find out about the traverse at 7500 ft where the trail is very narrow and there is a steep drop off. You dont want that kind of exposure when there is ice on the trail, even with crampons.
RJ - Did you or anyone else go on Friday or Saturday.
PS - There is a chance of some new snow on Tuesday
http://www.socalweather.net
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Cy right. That traverse is the main point of interest. Post holing takes a lot of energy but the traverse is the crux of the problem.
magikwalt

going this sat? 2/3?

Postby wanderwoman » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:44 am

Hey Cy and everyone else,
Are you doing c2c this Saturday? or a moon light hike on Friday? I would really like to get out with someone to the summit.
Let me know if I may join you. thanks :)
wanderwoman

Current conditions on Skyline

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:35 am

Hi Wonder Woman - I am taking the tram up to Long Valley this Saturday and will see how much snow is at the top of the trail. The www.outdoorsclub.org is going up there at 10 am to do the peak from the tram. The following Friday they are doing Cactus to Clouds. I will post on the message board what i find out. You can get a recorded message from the Ranger at Long Valley at
1 760 327 0222. Temperatures up there are below freezing, so I would imagine that there is ice up there in the morning, so take crampons.
You are welcome to join me.
Cy Kaicener

Postby Yichus » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 am

Hi, Cy:

About what time do you plan on taking the tram up on Saturday? If my friend and I are able to make it to Long Valley (I'm confident that we will, even if there's ice, that annoying impediment), we'll need a ride back to the museum. If we happen to see you up there, would you give us a lift?

Ideally, I'd like to hike with a group of three or four, in case of an emergency, so if anyone else is interested in hiking c2c on Saturday, you're welcome to join us. We'll start around 5:00am from the museum parking lot.

Rob
Yichus

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains