Snow (if any)/Trail Conditions

General Palm Springs area.

Snow and trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Good news snow lovers. It was snowing at Banning Pass (el 2600 ft) as I drove in to Palm Springs this morning (Wed - twenty eighth), but it did not remain on the freeway.
There is six inches of snow at Long Valley and the peak was socked in with clouds. It was 14 degrees at Long Valley at 10.15 am this morning. It looks like about a foot of snow at the top of the Skyline trail, but some of this should burn off by the week end. The snow level is below 6000 ft but will rise quickly. The phone number for the tram is 760 325 1449 or 760 325 1391 and the Ranger Station is 760 327 0222 for a recorded message.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Snow (if any) trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 pm

Is there anyone that plans on doing the Skyline trail tomorrow (Saturday).?
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

saturday overnighter

Postby Mister T » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking about riding the tram up, and hiking into long valley for an overnighter. I was just planning on bringing cold/wet weather gear and the essentials, not going to peak anything. Should I still bring Crampons and Ice Axe? Anyone know conditions and if temps? Thanks
Mister T

Saturday March 3 Conditions- round valley

Postby Mister T » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Hiked in on Saturday morning up to round valley from the tram. There was about 4-5 inches of packed snow on the trail up to meadow, with small ice patches. I wore crampons since i had an 80lbs pack on. Was in the low 20's, late Teens overnight, no wind. Nice place, thanks for the advice on the whats, and wheres everyone.
Mister T

Overnight peak trip

Postby thedeconstructionist » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 am

A buddy and I are hoping to head up the tram Tuesday (March 13), do some day hiking and overnight at Round Valley, and hit the summit by lunchtime Wednesday. I've done some day hikes here with my 7-year-old, but never this early in the year and never to the summit. My friend and I are both fairly experienced hikers in general, but neither of us has much snow-and-ice experience. So, my question is: what should we expect weather-wise and what (if any) extra equipment do we need? Do current conditions necessitate crampons and ice axes?
thedeconstructionist

Snow if any trail conditions

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:26 am

It is most unlikely that you will need ice axe or crampons. I was at Long Valley yesterday where the snow is already almost gone. What there is, is very soft.
You can call 760 327 0222 for a recorded message by the Ranger, or 760 325 1391 or 760 325 1449 for a person at the upper tram station.
Cy Kaicener

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains