Condition of PCT going north from I-10?

General Palm Springs area.

Condition of PCT going north from I-10?

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:06 am

Kathy (or anyone who has been there recently): What's the latest on the trail? I drove up to the trailhead a couple of weeks ago, and there was no fire damage as far as the eye could see. Where does the fire's impact begin? Is the trail still clearly visible? Now that Skyline is getting pretty much socked in (at least, that's what I'm guessing), I'm probably going to be doing the lower trails myself over the next few weeks. Any news? Pics?

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Zip:

I've just been doing some short trail runs this weekend. Today I ran from where the PCT crosses Cottonwood Road, so down the road from the Cottonwood Trailhead through the wind farm area to about 3,200 feet elevation (about a 4 mile section of the PCT) and back again. I didn't get started until afternoon, so my time was limited. Someone posted on the SGWA board that it's closed at Cottonwood, but it is not. It may still be closed at Mission Springs and then going north from there for a short section, but that's almost 30 miles from the Cottonwood Trailhead.

The section of the trail I was on was in great shape and from where I turned around it didn't look like it was going to change real soon. With these cools temperatures it's a good time to do those lower elevation sections.

Kathy
KathyW

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains