PCT - Interstate 10 sections

General Palm Springs area.

PCT - Interstate 10 sections

Postby KathyW » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:40 am

I'd like to do a section of the PCT tomorrow. I'm looking at either the section that heads north from Interstate 10 or the section that runs south from Interstate 10. Does anyone know where there are safe places to park to pick up either of these sections?
KathyW

PCT Interstate 10 sections

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Does anyone know what driving conditions are like over Banning Pass. I would think you need chains.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi Kathy, Hi Cy.

Ladies first: Kathy, I've done the PCT in both directions from the I-10. If you want to go toward San Jacinto, take the I-10 to Highway 111 towards Palm Springs, and get off at the very first street (about a mile in) towards Snow Creek. Go out Snow Creek Road a mile or two until you come to the small community of Snow Creek. There's a wooden sign on the left side, shaped sort of like an A (looks almost like something out of the Blair Witch Project). I usually make a u-turn and park just before the sign. The PCT crosses the street right there, so you can either walk back toward the freeway or up towards San Jacinto. I'd recommend going up towards San J. You'll take the small paved road, staying to the left, for a little over a mile (on foot, there's a gate that stays locked) - the road is actually the PCT at that point. When you get a little over a mile up the road, there's a drinking fountain and a sign that says PCT :arrow: . If you follow the trail, it's a very mild incline, and yet you get great views almost right away. It's one of my all-time favorite trails.

If you hike back towards the freeway, it's okay, but nothing spectacular, and you'll end up going under the freeway to get to the other side.

If you'd like to go north, towards San Gorgonio, you'd exit the I-10 before you get to the 111 at Haugen-Leimann (I'm not sure about the spelling there, it used to be Verbenia). Turn left to go over the freeway, then left again on the frontage road beside the I-10. Go down a couple of blocks to Tamarack, and turn right. Tamarack curves as it goes, then becomes a dirt road. If you continue on the dirt road about 1/2 mile, you'll come to the PCT parking lot, and the PCT is very clearly marked there. This is a good trail also, and you'll walk up a canyon right beside a hill with some of the windmills. If you keep going, you'll end up at a pass where you can see down the other side towards Whitewater. Very nice trail also, so you really can't lose.

Hope this helps.

Cy, I think all the snow has melted off by now - I live in Yucaipa, and there was nothing on the roads by about 10:30 this morning, even though we had about 5" at 9:00.

z
zippetydude

Postby KathyW » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks Zip - I think I'll take the trail that starts on the north side of Interstate 10 tomorrow and heads toward the Wind Farm and Trout Farm. It's so cold out, so I probably won't get an early start which means my mileage will be limited.
KathyW

Interstate 10 sections

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks Zip. It snowed a little here in Rialto this morning (Friday) at 1200 feet.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains