Skyline condition 1/7/06

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline condition 1/7/06

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 pm

Almost a perfect day for Skyline today. Windy at the bottom, but not too bad. Just a little ice right above Slick Rock, but it's been cold enough farther up that it has stayed soft and hasn't turned to ice. Much less snow than last week, just fine in boots.

I saw two lights above me on the trail just above the museum, but they must have ended up going a slightly different path, because I saw them again off to one side and slightly below me, even though I never passed them on the trail. Mayabe they went back down and out Ramon. Other than that, not one soul.

Where is everybody? Magikwalt, did you go? Sure is nice out there.

z
zippetydude

Postby Yichus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:41 am

Hi, Z:

Thanks for the TR. I'm glad you had a nice run.

Quick question: Does the first traverse have snow or ice on it?

Y
Yichus

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:12 am

Hi Yichus. The traverse was pure snow, and most of it was broken up here and there with rocks and branches so that it was easy going.

The only ice was in the shaded area far below, right at Slick Rock, and I had to choose my footing carefully. Even there it was maybe 100' or so, nothing major. I had crampons with me, but never felt the need for them.

I understand your caution with the traverse - I'll be done for the season once the traverse becomes icy, so I've been going every weekend for the past few weeks to enjoy the trail while I can.

Hope this helps.

z
zippetydude

Postby Yichus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:55 am

Thanks, Z, for the beta.

I hope you can run the trail several more times before it gets really icy.

Y
Yichus

Postby magikwalt » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:42 am

Hi Zip,

I experienced a failure to launch on Sunday. My hiking partner and I arrived at the Ramon Rd trailhead about 4:15am. Head lights on we started up. At about 4:25am I had the most intense desire for a toilet. Back to the truck we hurried. At 5:20am we were back at the trailhead with our backpacks on when Chuck's wife called to say she had no keys to the car. Back to the truck, over to Chuck's, located the keys (locked in the trunk) and then went to Denny's for breakfast. It was to be Chuck's first time and we decided it just wasn't ment to be.

Wednesday looks good for missing work so I'm looking at a solo trip tomorrow morning. The weather looks like rain on Friday so I figure to sneak up while its still nice.
magikwalt

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi magikwalt. Sorry to hear about the misfire. It's all part of the experience, I guess. I've had a few like that myself. I once started up the Forsee trail in the San Gorgonio wilderness - I had been planning on a 31 mile round trip to the peak and back. I had water cached, all my supplies packed, and had been preparing for it for weeks. I got a half mile in, got so nauseated I thought I was going to puke and die, and had to walk back out. It happens.

Hope you get to go Wednesday. Looks like we're in for some real snow Thursday and Friday, so your friend may end up waiting til spring if things get icy (unless you guys are winter adventure people).

Post a report when you get back.

z
zippetydude

Skyline Condition in January

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Rob (Yichus) has been waiting all summer for snow :wink:
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby magikwalt » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Trip Report. Hit the trail early this morning headed for the tram & maybe beyond. I tweaked an achilles tendon around 2800ft. At 3700ft I took a break to weigh my options. I limped down in more time than it took me to climb it. Never knew the achilles was so important for coming down hill. I did pass a group of 4 headed up so maybe they can post some new info. On the way down I was surprised to see a pretty large swam of bees working a gap between two boulders at 1920ft. Actually heard them way before I saw them. They would be on your right about 10ft off the trail if you are heading up. Sure hope their not making a home for themselves.

Looks like I may have to change my name to Gimpy!
magikwalt

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:23 pm

Have you considered Tragikwalt? That would fit your luck of late. Hope you're back at 'em soon.

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Seems to be running that way the last couple times. Tendon seems to be responding well to the ice. I guess that as I get closer to 50 the stretching is going to be more important.
magikwalt

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains