12/27- Condition update needed

General Palm Springs area.

12/27- Condition update needed

Postby wanderwoman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:38 pm

Hello fellow happy hikers,
I am trying to rustle up some non-hiking friends who are home for the holidays to go hiking with me since my parents say no more hiking alone. Therefore, what are the current snow conditions around Long Valley and Round Valley? Would snowshoes or instep crampons be best? What about up to the peak? Snow levels? Thank you for your response :)

oh and on a different note: I have attempted to register for summitpost several several times and my confirmation code never matches. any suggestions/insights from geekier (than me) computer people?
wanderwoman

Condition Update needed

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:08 pm

Hello Wonderwoman - At the moment there is only one inch of snow at Long Valley - i dont know how much there is above that. It is firm before noon and soft after noon. You can call 1 760 327 0222 for a recorded message by the Ranger on conditions to the peak.
Here is a link to summitpost that might help you
http://www.summitpost.org/faq.html
PS There is a chance of light snow tomorrow.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Tram to San Jacinto Summit Conditions

Postby magikwalt » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:16 am

Nice timing since I was going to post this morning anyway. I was on the first tram up Monday 12/26 and hiked to the summit in just boots. I would have prefered to had crampons for the trip through the trees as the 3000 plus visitors on Christmas day turned the trail to Wellman's Divide into a skating rink. From there on it was patchy snow with only a few areas of 6" stuff. The trip down was pretty much the same with the trail under the trees a little softer but still very much ice.

Amazing how many tennis shoe hikers were slipping their way towards the Wellman lookout.

Anyway as I type this I can see the Palm Springs face of San Jac and the weather system came through early this morning bringing new snow. I would say you will have fresh snow from 7000 on. Mind you that's just me looking at the mountain at 10:00am this morning. I agree with Cy and suggest a call since the weather is just hitting.
magikwalt

Thank you

Postby wanderwoman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:26 pm

I ended up not going- no one to go with and 'rents don't want me hiking alone. I also fly out for NY today, so it was a bit of a crunch to get out there. I will have to wait until Jan. to go. Thank you all for the info.
God's peace in the New Year!
wanderwoman

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains