Two questions from Zippetychicken

General Palm Springs area.

Two questions from Zippetychicken

Postby zippetydude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:44 pm

A couple of winters ago, I had to turn around at 10,800 feet on San G because I didn't have sufficient traction to make the last few hundred vertical feet. It felt a bit like chickening out, but I think it was the right decision.

I saw today that some people are doing Baldy this weekend. They'll probably need ice axes and crampons to do it safely. I don't qualify.

Ooooh. That kills me. I hate to find some adventure that I can't do. Also, I find that I meet the most fun people out in the wilderness, so I get excited when I see some group is going, then realize that I'm not going to be part of that group. Ugh.

So, question 1. Does Skyline look like some aluminum crampons would safely get me through, or would that be a silly choice that would send me hiking back down. (I'm not prone to taking dumb chances - if I found adverse conditions that the crampons couldn't easily handle, I'd simply run back down.)

Question 2. This winter stuff looks like it might be worth learning, but I don't usually have much time. (That's why I do the trail running - I get to go play and don't have to miss time at work or with family.) Is it something that takes considerable time and practice to learn, or is a simple half-day class and some informal practice sufficient?

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:11 am

Z-dude,

Still looking for the memory card from our Snow Creek trip....
Still waiting for the baby.....

I'd be happy to spend a day in the snow/ice with you going over the basics this winter.

Otherwise I can recommend the following people, all from first hand experience (listed in geographical proximity to SoCal): SP Parker, Sierra Mountain Center; Mark Houston, Cosely & Houston Guides; Mark Gunlogson, Mountain Madness; Dunham Gooding, American Alpine Institute.

Happy Holidays,
BCox
bcox

Postby RJSUSC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Hey Zippety,

I can answer your first question. I went up C2C earlier today and the conditions were perfect. We hit considerable amounts of snow on the trail around 7,000 ft but did not need to use our crampons and ice axe at all up to Long Valley. The snow was very soft and slushy. We hit the snow around mid-day, so I can't say what the conditions would be like early in the morning. I still would recommend taking an ice axe and crampons, but as mentioned, we made it w/o a hitch to Long Valley. Due to a tight schedule for my friend, we did not have the time to summit. I am totally stoked though, broke my record to Long Valley by over an hour; took me 5 hours flat to reach LV from the museum, yes! Zippety, FYI, I am also just learning to use crampons and an ice axe for winter ascents, and I'm extremely happy to have some friends who are willing to help me out. Cheers Zippety, as well as everyone else on here, and a Happy Holidays!
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Two Questions from Zippetyanimal

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Ryan - Thanks for the trip report. Crescentstrife also posted a trip report on Summitpost.org This is good news. Did you see Zippetyanimal up there?
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby RJSUSC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Hey Cy, yeah that's me over on SP as crescentstrife! I did not see Zippety, did you make it up today, Zip?
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains