What's the trail like from the tram to the peak in the snow?

General Palm Springs area.

What's the trail like from the tram to the peak in the snow?

Postby zippetydude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:40 pm

I've never gone up San J in the snow. Is the snow packed down and the trail easy to follow from the tram up to the peak? Also, I can't picture anywhere along the trail where there would be significant exposure, but I'd like to hear opinions on that from people who have actually done it in the snow.

Thanks,

z
zippetydude

Postby AlanK » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Compared to San G or Baldy, San J is pretty easy to do in the snow. The trail is often hard packed and somewhat slippery. It can be hard to follow when the snow is deep and fresh, but that's the time to forget the trail and enjoy some nice cross country routes. The peak is in the same place all the time and not exactly hard to find! :-)

That said, winter is winter. Don't take it too casually. (I'm not talking to you with this comment, z-dude, but you never know who will read this, go out, and get in trouble.)
AlanK

Postby phydeux » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:02 pm

I wouldn't expect there's very much snow up there right now (anyone been up in the last few days?)

Typically its pretty packed down from the Tram to Round Valley. From there up to Wellmans Divide it can be deep and soft (good, shady tree cover and not many folks going up that way). As AlanK mentions, probably best to look at it as trailess cross country travel after Round Valley.

If we get significant snowfall your best winter bet is to go from Round Valley over to Tamarak Valley then directly up to the Miller Peak saddle. Go a little west of the saddle and head uphill - you'll eventually see the summit rocks.
phydeux

Postby wingding » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:45 pm

wingding

Postby Perry » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 pm

Thank you Kathy for posting that. A picture paints a thousand words. Edit: I notice the date is 4/1/06.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby wingding » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:13 pm

You're right - it was last spring. I'm sure there's not nearly that amount of snow up there now.
wingding

Postby zippetydude » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:28 pm

Thanks everybody. I might take a quick run up this Friday or Saturday.

It looks like I won't need snowshoes - I don't think the snow will be deep enough. Probably my Kahtoolas (running crampons) will be sufficient.

z
zippetydude

Whats the trail like from the tram to the peak in snow

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:58 pm

Zippetydude - This is Cychicken. Please post how much snow and ice you find up there. Some people have been asking me.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby RJSUSC » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:28 pm

Zippetydude, I might see you on Friday; myself and a couple others are heading up C2C, probably only to the tram though. I'll post on the conditions as well if anyone is interested in hitting up skyline soon. Perry, do you still work for the tramway?
Ryan S
RJSUSC

C2C Conditions

Postby magikwalt » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Sure will be happy to see the info from both you guys as we are thinking of a C2C run on Tuesday the 26th. From my last trip up I will be interested to hear how that traverse over to the Coffman's Craig looks.
magikwalt

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains