Is Skyline clear?

General Palm Springs area.

Is Skyline clear?

Postby zippetydude » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:08 pm

You can see the snow up on the mountain, but does anyone know if the trail is clear and passable at present? I'm thinking about going up on Wednesday morning, so any info would really help.

z
zippetydude

Postby RV » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:13 pm

Zip: I have the same question as I was planning on taking it up this weekend. If we don't get the answer here and you decide to check it out, please let me know what you find. I would be very surprised if the ridges near the tram are not under snow.

RV
RV

Postby zippetydude » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:30 pm

Hi RV. If I do Skyline, I'll post what I find. I may just do San G instead, as the South Fork by way of Dry Lake route offers fun with virtually no exposure, and I can use my Kahtoolas. I don't think they would cut it with the exposure on Skyline just below the ridge.

z
zippetydude

Is Skyline clear?

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:40 pm

As of today (Wednesday) there is two to six inches of snow on the trail above 7500 feet. At Long Valley, half of the ground is snow free. Robie and John are going on Friday and can give you another report.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Thanks Cy. I went elsewhere today since the snow looks to be clearly on the trail. I don't think the snow would be a problem in the afternoon, since it will probably be slushy by then. As I go early, I was concerned that it might be glazed over with ice. I'll look for their trail report Friday night.

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains