Ice? Crampons?

General Palm Springs area.

Ice? Crampons?

Postby glamisking » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Hey Guys I came across C2C and first learned abou the hike yesterday and I have been able to stop thinking about it since. I would can't wait to do it but I was wondering about the current trail conditions. Is there ice? Do I need crampons? Physically I am in great shape [19 years old, summited Jacinto, Baldy, Saddleback, and others in the past 2 months] but I don't have any winter mountainering gear yet. Thanks for the help.
glamisking

C2C conditions

Postby guest » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Hi,
Presently, the trail is in decent shape, there's was a couple inches above 9,500 ft. on the way to San Jac last Sat.
Don't take this trail lightly, the hikes you mentioned aren't but 1/2 as hard or long.
I'm sure your in good shape, but just pace yourself, especially for the last 3 miles.
Keep an eye on the weather, as Skyline could get snow anytime now.
I would go w/ someone who has done it for your 1st time.

ss

Re: C2C conditions

Postby glamisking » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:01 pm

guest wrote:Don't take this trail lightly, the hikes you mentioned aren't but 1/2 as hard or long.
I'm sure your in good shape, but just pace yourself, especially for the last 3 miles.
Keep an eye on the weather, as Skyline could get snow anytime now.
I would go w/ someone who has done it for your 1st time.

ss

Thanks. I will take heed to your words. I am hoping that the weather stays clear till the 15th. But it is very possible that I will be forced to wait till after it melts. bummer.

But speaking of the 15th I would LOVE to hike it with a veteran. Who's up for it?
glamisking

Is there snow and ice on the c2c trail

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:03 am

I go on Saturdays, but just up to the tram. This Saturday might be the last chance of a snow and ice free trail, but lets see if we get anything on Sunday.
It takes me eight hours up to the tram, but if you want to do the whole c2c maybe someone else faster will volunteer.
See the Skyline trail/c2c in November and December thread.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains