Backpacking up Cactus to Clouds

General Palm Springs area.

Backpacking up Cactus to Clouds

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:33 am

What are your thoughts on backpacking up Cactus to Clouds. There is a thread going on summitpost. I think its a bad idea.
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24242
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby AlanK » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:40 am

I'd have nothing against backpacking as long as the camp is at some place like Round Valley. Below the tram stop? Keep walking!
AlanK

Postby marmot » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:41 pm

i cant imagine how difficult cactus to clouds would be with a backpack+water, that would be a living hell.
On the otherhand, i think that you could camp at the 4000-4500 ft level on c2c (it would still be a reallly difficult hike), then get up the next morning to do the remainder of the hike, but would you really want to get up the next morning and climb the next 4500 feet?
the trail is steep, waterless, long, and sometimes hot, which makes it inappropriate for backpackers.
marmot

Postby TRumble24 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:52 am

Camping before the tram station seems a horrible idea to me, it's like teasing yourself. The fire danger is way too high to start a camp fire as well.

I have considered backpacking the route with the camp stop being in Round Valley. The first time I did Skyline I lugged much more than a gallon of water and some extra clothes and supplies (I guess I aired on the side of caution a bit too much). I was also way out of shape at this time, but I dragged myself to the tram, so I think if I was in shape I could lug enough equipment for a successful backpacking trip. I am also 6'5 and 275lbs so it depends on the hiker I think.
TRumble24

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains