Which trail do you consider the most difficult?

General Palm Springs area.

Which trail do you consider the most difficult?

Postby Vadosian » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:31 pm

Hello Everyone on this board,

In your hiking experiences on our beautiful San Jacinto Mountains, which trail has been the most difficult for you to overcome: distance, degree of steepness, elevation gain in distance, routefinding problems, obstacles, you name it. In my opinion, the majority of trails on this mountain are clean (with some exceptions, of course), well maintained, and clearly marked. I sure appreciate all the great work the volunteers do up there.

My vote for #1 trail is Marion Mountain, then Black Mountain Peak Trail during the summer. I have challenged quite a bit of my cartilage on those two trails! :shock:

Please share your thoughts. :)

Jim
Vadosian

Postby guest » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:48 pm

hI jIM,
i'M SURE MANY WOULD CONSIDER sKYLINE THE TOUGHEST.
I've done tougher hikes out here, but there routes & note trails.
I think Vivian Creek to San Gorgonio Pk is pretty tough too, even though it's in the San Bernardino's.

s

Which trail do you consider the most difficult

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:24 am

Jim - I think the most difficult trail is Iron Mountain via Heaton Flats. From Iron keep going to Mt Baldy, and then come back the same way.
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=1107

Next is Cactus to Clouds. Here are other opinions of c2c
http://www.trails.com/trail_reviews.asp ... HGS241-045
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby AlanK » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:45 am

I might change my ranking order depending on the day of the week or the phase of the moon. I would include Iron Mountain and C2C in the short list. Since this discussion does not seem to be restricted to the San Jacintos, I would also add a couple of our other favorites -- the San Gorgonio 9 Peaks hike via Momyer and vivian Creek and the Baldy 9 Peaks Hike via Bear Flat and Icehouse Canyon.
AlanK

Postby marmot » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:56 am

the hardest one day that ive done is clouds rest and half dome from happy isles and back in one day, that was hard!
Another interesting hike is starting from vincent gap (near baden powell) and hiking down into vincent gulch, then traversing pine mountain ridge, to the top of pine mountain, and then across the north backbone to mt. baldy. Desolate country all the way.

although the hike from palm springs via c2c to san jacinto and down to snow creek sounds interesting, that i must do....maybe this summer.

another hike that ranks is telescope peak from badwater, which i havent had a chance to do yet.
marmot

Postby wingding » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:30 pm

there are lots of tough hikes out there - rabbit in the santa rosas was a long tough hike for me.

Also, conditions make a big difference. Getting to the summit of San Jacinto from the tram can be pretty darn tough in the winter with snow/ice but very easy in the middle of the summer on a clear trail.
wingding

Postby sunburn75230 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:57 am

I'd say,snow creek up the north face to san jacinto pk would be the toughest....although a traverse up Tahquitz canyon to caramba is a real monster too. Overall though, as far as no tech required hikes go...a straight shot up Nicholas canyon to Toro peak is torture.
sunburn75230

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains