Skyline: Clear of snow and ice?

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline: Clear of snow and ice?

Postby marmot » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:37 am

is there snow or ice present on the higher parts of the skyline? Is it necessary to bring crampons?
marmot

Postby zippetydude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:43 am

Hi Marmot. How goes it?

Your timing is perfect - there's not one bit of snow or ice on the whole trail - I just did it this morning, the trail is clear and the weather is perfect. I saw Cy out there with a couple of other guys.

Hope to see you on the trail one weekend before it snows.

z
zippetydude

Postby marmot » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 am

thanks for the quick update zippetydude
so the skyline is a daily morning workout for you now?
I wish i lived closer to the trail, but i live six hours away!
Hiking Clouds rest from happy isles is great, which is just about equal to the difficulty of the skyline.
im probably going to hike the skyline next weekend, on saturday, for my second time, it really is a great trail.
marmot

Skyline is clear of snow and ice.

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:23 pm

Marmot - I am going next Saturday (Nov 11 th) as well with a few other people leaving the museum at 3.30 am. If you like the eight hour pace up to the tram you are welcome to join us. Today was cool. Zippedydude zipped past us near the halfway mark.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:51 pm

Marmot - where are you? Six hours is a long drive. I did Whitney in September, and it's only 4 hours from me. 4 hours + long hike + 4 hours home = exhausted me. You're driving 6 each way? Tougher than me.

I posted in another thread I'm hoping to go with bcox to the peak via the PCT out of Snow Creek. Since you'll be here, maybe we will run into each other at the tram or returning from the Peak. What time are you going to be up there? Are you doing Skyline, or the full trip up to the peak? While Skyline is great, if you want to try out the PCT with us, you're more than welcome to do that as well. Either way, the tram is our way back down. Shoot me a post back if you have a chance.

Hope to run into you in person.

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains