Martinez Mountain in the Santa Rosa Wilderness

General Palm Springs area.

Martinez Mountain in the Santa Rosa Wilderness

Postby wingding » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:24 am

Is anyone interested in a day hike or an overnight trip to Martinez Mountain? The HPS site says it is 4,300 feet gain and 16 miles round-trip. I'd like to do it sometime between November and March if I can find anyone to go with me. I'm afraid to hike alone in that area due to Mountain Lions.

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/30c.htm
wingding

Postby Yichus » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:02 am

Hi, wingding:

Re: your "I'm afraid to hike alone in that area due to Mountain Lions."

I'm just curious: Have you heard or read reports of mtn. lions sightings on or near the trail to Martinez Mountain? Is Martinez Mtn. near El Toro Peak? If so, I'd also be leery about big cats -- my brother frequently bikes the trail to El Toro Peak and has said that, on two occasions, he has caught glimpses of what appeared to be a small (probably female) cougar. He said that once the cougar noticed him, it leaped away.

Rob
Yichus

Martinez Mountain

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:06 am

Kathy - I would be interested in doing Martinez Mtn, Rabbit or Rosa in January as a Saturday one day hike. The last time I climbed Martinez was in 1969 when I led a trip for the Sierra Club.
On Dec 9 and 10, Tom Hill and Sarah Hess are leading an overnighter to Martinez for the Sierra Club http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/outings.htm
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Martinez Mt.

Postby flat foot » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Wingding I'd be interested, I've never been there before.
flat foot

Postby wingding » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Cy - I don't think I'd like to do it the way the Sierra Club is with just a few miles on Saturday and the bulk of the trip on Sunday. I'd prefer to do it as a day hike or with more mileage done on Saturday leaving for an easier day on Sunday.

Rosa is a great day hike - I did that one last December and then the long slog to Rabbit last spring. We did Rabbit as an overnighter - We went all the way to Rabbit and back to Villager to camp on a Saturday and then hiked the following day. I'd like to do Mile High Peak out in that area, so let me know when you're heading down there.

Flat foot - When would you want to try Martinez? Would you want to day hike it?

Yichus - Some areas just make me more nervous than others when it comes to Mountain Lions. I just have a feeling that there's a good size Mountain Lion population in the Santa Rosas and the lower elevations of the San Jacintos.
wingding

Martinez

Postby flat foot » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Wingding, I think I'd like to try a day hike (leave really early in the a.m.) on a Saturday. Maybe on Thanksgiving weekend? Or a Saturday after that. Does any of this sound good to you?

Where do you pick up the trail head? Are wilderness permits required?
flat foot

Postby wingding » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Flat foot:

I can do either November 24th, November 25th, or December 2nd.

Driving Directions as copied from the HPS Site:

From the west:

* Take I-10 or SR 60 east to SR 79 in Beaumont.
* Go south on SR 79 to the Ramona Expressway. Turn left (east).
* Go east and then southeast on the Ramona Expressway until it ends at SR 74. Turn left (east).
* Go east on SR 74 to Mountain Center (junction with Idyllwild Highway - SR 243).
* Continue east on SR 74 for about 21.5 miles to a paved road (7S06) at a sign "Cactus Spring Trail". This is just across from the entrance to Pinyon Flat Campground.
* Go south 1/4 mile to the (paved) "Sawmill Trailhead" parking lot.

From the north:

* Travel east on I-10 to its interchange with Monterey Avenue near Palm Desert. Exit right (south) on Monterey. Reset your odometer.
* At 6.0 miles, Monterey crosses 111 in Palm Desert and becomes SR 74. Continue straight.
* At 15.8 miles, turn left (southeast) on a paved road (7S06) at a sign "Cactus Spring Trail". This is just across from the entrance to Pinyon Flat Campground.
* Go south 1/4 mile to the (paved) "Sawmill Trailhead" parking lot.

Here's more information on the hike:

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/30c.htm

I can send you a map of the hiking route if you would like.

Kathy
wingding

Martinez

Postby flat foot » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:43 am

Hi Kathy,

I'm free November 17, 18 and Dec 2nd... Just realized the Saturday after Thanksgiving is the 25th (my anniversary, oops). Will any of these dates work for you?

Thanks for the detailed directions to the trail head! I'll check my stash of maps, I think I have a map that covers the area.

Teresa
flat foot

Postby wingding » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 am

December 2nd works great.

Anyone else interested in a day hike to Martinez on December 2nd?
wingding

Postby kngalaric » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:08 pm

I too would like to do Martinez. I actually am planning on including it in my book that I am working on right now - 100 Classic Hikes in Southern California. I put Sheep Mountain in the last one. I love that area, and I've never been to Martinez.

What date are you guys going?

I've got plans in Santa Barbara (more book hikes) the Thanksgiving week, but the December date sounds good. Are you planning it as a backpack or a dayhike? I'd be up for either.

It seems like you're saying dayhike Dec 2nd. If so, count me in!

Allen
kngalaric

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains