Guadalupe Trail Oct 21st`

General Palm Springs area.

Guadalupe Trail Oct 21st`

Postby klxbilly » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:21 pm

I'm hiking all or part of the trail from La Qunita to the Sugar Loaf Cafe this Saturday, and would enjoy doing it with somebody who knows the route...

klxbilly@verizon.net
Billy Dean
Happiness is like moonshine -- make your own and you'll never run out...
klxbilly

Postby klxbilly » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:32 pm

OK, i'll do it alone... :))
Billy Dean
klxbilly

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:26 pm

A lot of people just don't know about that trail. You might talk Cy into doing it this winter when there's too much snow on Skyline. :D
Perry
Site Admin

Postby klxbilly » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:59 pm

cactus2clouds wrote:A lot of people just don't know about that trail. You might talk Cy into doing it this winter when there's too much snow on Skyline. :D

I'm getting the impression that this forum is almost exclusively focused on the skyline trail. Probably should have taken the "Mt San Jacinto" title a bit more seriously. Are there any other forums for the coachella valley in general? I've visited the websites for the two hiking clubs, but they don't really have a forum... thanks!
Billy Dean
klxbilly

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:20 am

Yeah, I've noticed a lack of discussion about desert trails. SummitPost California section has enough people that you might find somebody. Whitney Portal message board has lots of hikers too. Maybe some of them do training hikes in the Santa Rosa's.
Perry
Site Admin

Guadalupe Trail

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Perry is right. I will be ready for it when there is too much snow on Skyline.
If I am not mistaken this trail starts off as the Boo Hoff trail, then picks up the Guadalupe trail to the Sugarloaf Cafe. A car shuttle would get you back after about 5000 ft gain and many miles. I think Cynthia and Robie would be interested. I will forward this on to them. Below is a map and description.
http://www.dsusd.k12.ca.us/hikes/Sugarloaf.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Yichus » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:45 pm

I hiked the Boo Hoff Trail with four friends last May. I think I would have enjoyed the experience had we started earlier, say, at 4am, instead of at 6:30am, when it was already 72 degrees. The temperature on the day of the hike was quite warm--a sizzling 106 degrees, although it seemed even hotter than that--probably because I was still recovering from the flu. (Yeah, I'm an idiot.) The trail is long and, in my opinion, devoid of interesting sights, save the old miners camp and, near the end of the trail, Horse Thief Creek, which provides shade and water to weary hikers--a welcomed relief from the heat.

In two areas--one near the first creek crossing and the other when you're in the Pinyon Flat drainage, the trail seems to peter out; however, if you look closely for the trail and also for foot prints, you should be able to discern the trail, although it's a good idea to go with someone who has hiked the Boo Hoff before...if it's you're first time hiking it.

Rob
Yichus

Postby Yichus » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:52 pm

oops...I meant to write: "...if it's YOUR first time hiking it."
Yichus

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:41 pm

You can edit your postings if you're signed in. A little box saying "edit" pops up next to the box that says "quote" in the top right-hand corner of your posting. (I haven't figured out how to use the quote box yet.)

I occasionally post when I wake up and can't get back to sleep at night, and I look at it the next day and there are so many typos I can hardly figure out what I was trying to say.

Anyway, I'm impressed - you're one of the few people on the internet who knows the difference between "your" and "you're".

z
zippetydude

Postby AlanK » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:49 pm

zippetydude wrote:I haven't figured out how to use the quote box yet.

z -- You're in trouble with me. It's your fault that you made me try the quote button.
AlanK

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains