Count down to Snow Creek PCT up to peak and down to tram

General Palm Springs area.

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Hey bcox, still out there?

Sorry it's taken me so long to post - we had our RV up at Silent Valley last weekend (the only unburned spot in the recent fire) and had to make all sorts of contingency plans since the camping didn't pan out. We even got a report on Saturday morning that our motorhome had been burned to a crisp, only to find out later that not one leaf burned in the entire campground and everything was intact. Crazy times.

With that said, I'm still a go for the 10th/11th if you are. If we confirm, I'll try to cache some gatorade about 16 miles into the trail so that we'll have backup supplies without having to carry everything with us. I also have some water up by the peak, but the midpoint cache would be best.

Howzitlookn4u?

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:47 am

Zdude,
I did an an average intensity 20 miles on the PCT last Sunday and the lower back felt fine. Your route looks somewhat visible on Google Earth and it looks pretty cool. Weather looks OK. The wife gave me a hall pass for Saturday. I think we're looking great!

Sorry for the late reply - wife's baby shower today and I've had relatives in town for the past few days...

BCox
bcox

Postby zippetydude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Mission control, this is Houston. You are cleared for takeoff.

bcox: I cached the gatorade today in 3 separate spots along the trail. I did Skyline yesterday, so I'm ready to rock.

A couple of details to line up:

1) roughly what's your comfortable pace? If you have a marathon time, Skyline time, 50k ultra time, that would help. I'm thinking the route is between 27 and 31 miles, so it should take us probably 6-8 hours, most likely right in the middle. How does that sound to you?

2) It will work out best if we meet at the tram turnoff at Hwy 111 so that we can leave one car there. We can take a cab down from the tram to the car, then give a ride back to the car waiting in Snow Creek. So the tram turnoff would be a good meeting place.

3). 3:00 a.m. would be a good starting time to meet, but we can vary that a bit based on what's best for you. Would you prefer a little earlier, a little later, or right around there?

Bonus question: Was your wife throwing the shower, or is she expecting? If the latter, boy or girl? When's she due? Don't mean to pry, but that's way too exciting to pass up.

ps I'll check your profile and see if I can email you directly. This would be easiest if we exchange home and cell numbers so we can talk directly right before to confirm any last minute details.

Talk to you soon,

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:43 am

Zdude,

Responed to your e-mail. Details are there.

BCox
bcox

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains