Count down to Snow Creek PCT up to peak and down to tram

General Palm Springs area.

Count down to Snow Creek PCT up to peak and down to tram

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:19 am

I'm thinking about doing the trip, I'll probably start around 3:00 on a Saturday morning in early November if the snow holds off.

The trail is well graded - almost all of it is runnable. Beautiful sights, amazing trail, lots of suffering - it doesn't get any better than this.

Post back and let me know if you would like to go. Otherwise, I can go solo and post pics.

z
Last edited by zippetydude on Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zippetydude

Countdown PCT to Peak

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:28 am

If you dont get any takers, you might try posting this on
http://www.mt-whitney.info - Southern California section
http://www.summitpost.org - California section on the Forum
http://www.runtheplanet.com/fridge/ Click on to Runners travelling to North America
I wonder if a slow group can make it in a day?
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby bcox » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:34 pm

Zippetydude,
This sounds like a great day out. The first weekend I have free right now is the 4th-5th of Nov. Where is Snow Creek and/or what other beta can you share about the route?
BCox
bcox

Postby bcox » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:37 pm

Zippetydude,
Check that - Nov. 10-11 is the first free weekend....sorry.
BCox
bcox

Postby zippetydude » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:45 pm

Hi bcox. The Snow Creek trailhead is in the small community of Snow Creek, which is the first exit off to your right as you enter Hwy 111 from I-10 heading east. It's about 9 or 10 miles before you get to the Tram road. It's actually just a section of the PCT, and it's very much like Skyline as far as topography, only the trail is gently sloping instead of crazy steep. I've gone up 11 miles (and had to go right back down the same 11 miles) exploring it from the bottom, then gone a couple of miles from the trailhead off the 243 on Black Mountain road. That's more like the trail above the tram. Then I've done the final piece going up to the peak by taking the Marion trailhead, and of course the part from the peak down to the tram is familiar to most. So I haven't really connected all the dots yet, but that's where the adventure lies. Let me check my schedule and see if we can hook up for the trip. As long as we beat the snow, no special equipment would be needed. It would be over 30 miles, so some good trail running shoes would be in order, along with a good Camelbak, but that's probably it.

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Z-dude,
That sounds perfect. I could also maybe do a Sat. night start on the 28th if that works better with your schedule.
BCox
bcox

Postby zippetydude » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 pm

I'll look at my schedule when I get home. The 28th is already committed, but I'm thinking the 10th/11th may work out well.

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:17 am

Zippetydude,
Is the 10th/11th still looking good for you? I checked out as much of the route as I could see on Google Earth and it does look like a good day out. I'd be coming up from San Diego and will probably try to take the afternoon off to beat traffic.
BCox
bcox

Postby zippetydude » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:59 pm

Still looking good - I'm just waiting for the dust to settle on my end. We have Halloween, a 2 day long birthday party, a post-election party, and a camping trip between now and then. I'm hoping I can go out and create a cache for us at roughly the midpoint with Gatorade so we will have a backup beyond what we want to carry.

Lets make final confirmation next week after halloween is over.

By the way, we can meet at Snow Creek since you're coming up from San Diego. I live at the base of the Big Bear mountains, so I'm coming from the other direction.

What kind of pace do you prefer? Do you generally run, jog, hike, walk, or poke along? I'm probably mostly in the run to jog category for this trail. I'm not real fast - more just steady.

Anyway, things are open so far and I'm clearing the space on my work calendar. Now I have to get agreement from my wife (I always forget things like birthdays and anniversaries, but she's good at reminding me) and it will be set in stone.

We'll need a specific starting time to meet. Is real early - like 3:00, okay with you?

z
zippetydude

Postby bcox » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:09 am

I'm fine with waiting until next week for final. The time is clear for me but my lower back just started acting up so I'll see how it does after a trail run this weekend.

As far as pace goes on longer mtn runs I like to start out the first 15-20 min at a mellow pace to get things good and warmed up. After that I try to stay aerobic, which for me means jogging the easy grades, power-hiking the steeps, and stretching it out a little on the slight downs. I'm not real fast either. I generally don't like to stop long to fuel, layer or rest. My preference is to keep the motor running and just keep hiking while changing layers or taking on calories. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way and I'm flexible. For me it is just about getting a workout in the mountains, having a good time and getting home safe.

3am is perfect.

Hope it works out. If not we'll probably run into each other on the trail sometime down the road.

BCox
bcox

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains