C2C Picture on SummitPost

General Palm Springs area.

C2C Picture on SummitPost

Postby turtle » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:13 pm

There's a stunning image of the C2C trail over on SummitPost, submitted by 'C2C'.

Does anyone know who this SummitPost user is and how he/she might be reached?

I'm hoping he/she may be willing to share a high-resolution version of the image, as I think it would make a really good motivational screen saver.
turtle

c2c picture on Summitpost

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:44 pm

That looks like its from Mike Ostby of Victorville who goes under the name of Mdostby on Summitpost. Perry (on this message board) also might be able to do this type of picture.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby AlanK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:10 pm

this is not as nice as that Summitpost image, but it is amazing what one can do with Google Earth these days.

AlanK

Postby turtle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 am

AlanK wrote:it is amazing what one can do with Google Earth these days.

Very nice! Out of curiosity, did you freehand the route or did you find some way to overlay GPS datapoints?
turtle

Postby AlanK » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 am

The magenta line is a GPS track. Google Earth reads and .kml and .kmz files. You can download converters that create them from GPS data. The track in the picture was made by converting GPS waypoints from one of my C2C trips.

Google Earth can also upload data from Garmin or Magellan GPS units, but you have to buy Google Earth Plus. I think it's $20 -- the info is available on the "Help" tab. The GPS capability is pretty primitive at the moment, but seems to be changing rapidly.

Send me a private message if you want more details.
AlanK

Postby turtle » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:52 am

Alan, thanks for the rundown on how you created the track.

I'm familiar with GPS tracking, and with .kmz files, but was unaware there was a converter to generate the latter from the former. Will have to give that a try using the GPS track on the "Cactus to Clouds Hiking Guide".
turtle

Postby AlanK » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:14 am

I found the converter I used: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map?form=googleearth It worked easily without having to monkey with settings. I just browsed for my data file and hit the "Create KML File" button. Life should be that east more often! :-)
AlanK

Google Earth Rendering

Postby turtle » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:18 am

I was able to create a Google Earth rendering of the C2C route, thanks to some technical help from AlanK.

The GPS routepoints are a splice (lots of fun with grep!) of the data available on the "Cactus to Clouds Hiking Guide" (museum to tram) and data kindly shared by AlanK (tram to summit).

I've posted the image over at SummitPost if anyone wants to take a look.
turtle

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:19 pm

That's awesome! The white patches are probably clouds picked up in the satellite photos, then rendered onto the landscape of the mountain.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby AlanK » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:08 pm

turtle -- great picture! Google Earth sure provides hours of fun. :-)
AlanK

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains