Roll Call for Tram Road Challenge - Who's going?

General Palm Springs area.

Roll Call for Tram Road Challenge - Who's going?

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:06 pm

Okay, how can we recognize each other at the race? We can meet at a specific location near the starting line? We could all meet at someone's car if someone has a distinctive car. I have an RV I could bring and people could just wander up and introduce themselves.

We've got just a few days. Any favorite suggestions? Perry, any wisdom from our noble site administrator?

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Hmmm...perplexing question that is.... (think: Yoda's voice) The startline will be a mess of people trying to find parking and register, tying their shoes, etc, plus the announcer and music. Maybe we could meet up at the awards afterwards and go out for breakfast. A friend says she'll make me a sign that says "I'm Perry," but I prefer just wearing a black Adidas running hat. Z, what will you be wearing?
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Perry: It won't matter what I'm wearing, since you won't be able to see me - I'll be behind you the whole race! :lol:

Hopefully we'll see each other before or after; I'll be wearing biking shorts and a red shirt. Probably have a baseball cap on backwards.

Incidentally, what kind of time do you expect to run on this thing? You'll probably have a chance to take a nap read War and Peace before I finish.

In any case, I'll look for you.

z
zippetydude

Postby RJSUSC » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Perry, Stan,

It was awesome meeting you both! That race kicked my butt for sure! Hopefully I'll see you guys out on the trail soon!
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 am

Ryan - it was great meeting you too. Hope we see each other on the trail when you're out here on vacation. Good luck in your studies at school.

By the way, when I got home I checked in with an exercise physiologist. I asked him how much effect doing Skyline yesterday would have had. He said it probably added about 14 minutes to my time, so if I hadn't done Skyline yesterday, I would have run the race in 31 minutes. I would have won the race outright. (read: har har) Even better, I would have finished ahead of Perry. Come to think of it, I didn't really talk with anybody, but the real difference probably would have amounted to about 14 seconds. Oh well.

Perry - sweet time dude. You were a minute faster than last years results, so you were already fast and you're improving still. A thought: Next year, I'll invite the other fast runners (besides you) on a C2C run the day before, and you can kick butt and take names. You probably won't need the help, though.

But seriously,what is your ideal distance? 5k, 10k, marathon? Have you tried ultras? There's a 50 k coming up in December in Ridgecrest. If you're not busy, you might consider that. Also, in January they have a really cool 50 k out in Calico. As most of the runners come out and camp anyway, we could wind down with a cold beer and tell stories about our exploits.

Incidentlally, I spoke with RJUSC and he had just seen you. We looked for you, but never found you. Too bad, I'd enjoy meeting you and be open for a C2C training run together if you'd like to do so. I'm nowhere near your speed, though, so it would have to be an easy day on your training schedule.
z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:35 pm

Hey Z, I was hoping to meet up with you at the awards but didn't see you. Thought maybe you were too tired after Skyline, which probably added 5 minutes to put you at ~45 minutes. Actually I ran 30:35 in 2002 and have been slower ever since. Did a bunch of hard workouts the last couple weeks and showed up to the start line with sore muscles. :-( Oh well, it will hopefully pay off in the next couple weeks... My forte is alpine speed climbing w/ snowshoes and poles or ice axe and crampons. For awhile ultras scared me because I always got muscle cramps after 3 hours. I'm thinking about ultras now that I've figured out how much salt it takes for me personally. GU's and plenty of Thermotabs work great when there is plenty of water available. The issue is really a course that is interesting enough for motivation. The local ultras seem boring compared to the mountains where official races are not allowed in wilderness areas.

Ryan, was nice to meet you briefly. I had to take off because a friend was waiting in the bobcat parking lot. Are you in Palm Springs much?

Z (Stan), please drop a line if you'll be in town again. I am going to attempt a fast C2C and wouldn't mind some company from Long Valley to the peak. Or if you just want to run one of the desert trails, there are some really fun ones.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby RJSUSC » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:03 pm

Hey Perry,

I'm not out there that much anymore, unfortunately. I started my hiking adventures on San J, but have been spending a lot of time in the Sierras. I'm thinking I will beg, borrow, and deal for some snow gear and hit up the area during my winter break. I also love going on death marches through the desert during that time of the year!
Ryan S
RJSUSC

Postby zippetydude » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:18 am

Hey, Climbin' Ryan - here's that link I mentioned at the race.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8660150828

This guy was amazing. Unfortunately, he was killed in one of his wild exploits. Have fun out there in the Sierras - hope you've got sticky fingers.

z
zippetydude

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains