The strangest part about that lost hiker episode

General Palm Springs area.

The strangest part about that lost hiker episode

Postby zippetydude » Thu May 11, 2006 11:06 pm

In one of the articles about the rescue, they talked about the couple reading the journal that the previous casualty had left behind. It seemed that the man knew he was not going to make it out. I don't understand - an experienced hiker, seemingly well equipped, not out of food or water ?????

What would have stopped him from simply hiking up to the peak, where he would have known there would be a trail, or tracks from recent summit attempts in the snow, and following that back to civilization? Does anyone know if he became ill, was injured, or suffered a snakebite that incapacitated him?

I've seen postings elsewhere that the couple involved were "stupid" and such to get lost. Whatever they might have been, this man does not appear to have been a fool. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I really feel for him and find myself wondering what separates him from those of us who also love the wilderness, but are fortunate enough to find ourselves safe and sound and able to post on this nice new forum.

z
zippetydude

The strangest part about the lost hiker episode

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri May 12, 2006 9:19 am

The following article says he was down to his last three crackers when he left his pack.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 047_2.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am

Interesting info (ones you get past all the name calling)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9052

Donovan

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri May 12, 2006 11:36 am

Based on the reports I have read, I would guess that Donovan died of exposure. He was carrying very limited gear that was very ill-suited to riding out a winter storm at 9,000 ft. It appears that he had a tarp tent, a sleeping back, tennis shoes (vs. boots), and an extra pair of socks as gloves.

A reasonably well-fed person can survive weeks without food, perhaps several days without water, but exposure can kill in as little as 60 minutes.

The question I ask about Donovan is: was it bad information (unawareness of the trail conditions or impending storm) or bad decisions that cost him his life? My conclusion is that it was largely the latter.
Hungry Jack

John Donavan

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri May 12, 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks for the whiteblaze thread which was very interesting
It sounds like he died of exposure during or soon after the storm.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby BSquared » Fri May 12, 2006 6:41 pm

One of the Whiteblaze posts said he "rarely uses maps." Egad. And no compass. Again, Egad. Does anyone have coordinates of where the two lost Texans found his (apparently) final campsite? Also, does anyone know the approximate route of the two lost Texans? I'm not familiar with the area (I live in Maryland), but judging by the Mt. San Jacinto State Park map, the upper tram station is a looooong way from Saddle Junction!
BSquared

Postby Guest » Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 pm

Well going by SAR's info he was no where near the peak, he was down a canyon between [canyon] and [canyon].
Ive been [there] and looking west its way steep. Just look at a topo of the area. ( I could post a pic of it if i knew how LOL)
So I guess both the couple and Donovon follow the creek down the canyon but were unable to go back up

Anyone know where?

Postby A. Riedel » Fri May 12, 2006 10:00 pm

Were they along Long Valley Creek, by [place] or near Caramba camp?

I'd bet the guy died of exposure too. Getting caught in a mountain storm unprepared is a good way to kill yourself.

Even without maps, if he'd been hiking along the Desert Divide in good weather, he'd seen the distance he'd have to travel to get out and the steep eastern face of the massif, but man he was so close to the tram, or why didn't he head back to saddle junction (I know it's a long ways, especially in a blizzard and shorts) but I don't think I could or would just lay down and die, but maybe he didn't. But he ditched his pack, extra clothes and his poncho/tarp tent, that is weird. It's strange that no one has found him yet. I bet they find him this weekend.

I was thinking about calling up someone I know from the lookout who does Wilderness patrol too, but I didn't.
A. Riedel

Postby Ramblindave » Fri May 12, 2006 11:15 pm

I read they were found near Long Valley and [canyon]. Tryed to type that in before but for somereason didnt come out inthe post.
Ramblindave

Postby Perry » Sat May 13, 2006 9:11 am

Ramblindave wrote:I read they were found near Long Valley and [canyon]. Tryed to type that in before but for somereason didnt come out inthe post.

Yeah, I don't really want to be a message board Nazi, and for the most part I do not want to censor this board hardly at all, but considering that this forum is likely to get a lot of web traffic and activity this summer, the consequences of more foot traffic to that area would not be good. It's a fragile area, and the state park could potentially close it to everyone if that becomes a problem.
Perry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains