General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:43 pm

I LOVE snowshoeing!

Maybe I'll see you there this winter. They say an El Nino is starting...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby wingding » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:55 am

I've always thought it would be nice to spend a night in the stone hut on San Jacinto in the winter. Maybe I'll give it a try this winter.
wingding

Postby Perry » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 am

Just a few thoughts. It may be very difficult to open that door if it's frozen shut. Oftentimes it's buried as sometimes the snow goes all the way to the roof. You might want to have a plan B to head back and catch the last tramcar down. Also, those black stone walls will absorb your body heat, so a solar blanket can make a big difference (in addition to a 0-degree rated sleeping bag). Other than that, sounds fun! :D Just letting you know so you don't have any surprises.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby wingding » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tips. If head up there to give it a try, I'll carry my bivy sack or tent with me just in case.
wingding

Postby phydeux » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:16 am

Even though the picture above shows the hut open in winter, check with the ranger station to make sure it will be open. In the past its been locked for the winter to discourage anyone from relying on it for shelter. Last time I was there it had a broken window, too, which would make it "well ventilated" if a Santa Ana condition developed (I'm sure no one would stay there if a storm was predicted!).
phydeux

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains