General Palm Springs area.

Postby klxbilly » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi, just joined the forum and wanted to post a short message to all here. I hike and run the Bump and Grind, Lykken and other trails three or four times during the week, but i'm looking for people to join me on the longer hikes, such as... La Quinta to Sugar Loaf cafe, PCT north of hwy 74, Pines to Palms and so forth. If you're anything like me, you prefer to do most of your hikes and trail runs by yourself, but it seems wise to do the longer stuff with a buddy or two. My first aim is to just have fun, but i'd also like to get in shape for the Skyline Trail, perhaps in the fall of 2007? Thanks!
Billy Dean
Happiness is like moonshine -- make your own and you'll never run out...
klxbilly

Postby Perry » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:37 am

Hey Billy, welcome to the board! It's a little quiet here right now because the tram is closed for maintenance, but probably it will pick up next week.

I know some hikers who do the Guadalupe Trail and some ultra runners who run the PCT along those 7,000-foot peaks south of Tahquitz. You can probably do Skyline this November if you do those other climbs in mid-October.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby klxbilly » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info -- was beginning to wonder if anybody would even say hello... :)) I'm 64 and in very good shape, but still have that feeling that i should target Skyline for next fall. Sounds pretty tough (excellent description, by the way), and i like to be over prepared for pretty much everything i do. Would appreciate you letting those who don't frequent this forum that i'm doing several local, long hikes during the coming fall, winter and spring. I'm hiking the guadalupe trail October 21st. I've gps'd the first several miles, and have a rough track of the remainder, but never done the whole thing, so i'd enjoy having somebody along who has. In fact, i've developed tracks for every long hike in this area that i can identify, since most of my trail runs are alone. Probably do Pines to Palms in November. Email me at klxbilly@verizon.net or call 343-0605... thanks!
Billy Dean
Happiness is like moonshine -- make your own and you'll never run out...
klxbilly

Postby zippetydude » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:07 pm

Not to worry, man, it's a friendly board. The thing is, right now the tram is shut down for routine maintenance, so no one is coordinating hikes, etc. since the most reasonable way down is shut down. I agree with the other posting - you are already prepared for the hike physically. Even so, there is the mental/psychological side. It will help to go at the same time as others - I did, and it was a good thing I did, I would have had a lot of trouble scouting out parts of the trail up high. Also, it's nice to know where you are along the way, it seems like the view doesn't change no matter how far you go. My first time, I was 3 hours in and the tram looked like it hadn't gotten any closer - it was a little demoralizing.

The weather is perfect this month. You might check with Cy - he leads a lot of new people through the route, and he's done it enough to have it down to a science. He's also a really good guy.

In any case, I respect your preparation tactics. It's a lot smarter to do it right than to end up being rescued or worse. I look forward to seeing you on the trail.

z
zippetydude

Welcome

Postby wingding » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:45 am

Welcome to the board. Will you be running or hiking on the longer trails?
wingding

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:30 am

My plan is to just hike the guadalupe until i know what to expect, then, on subsequent trips, run when it's not real steep up, or down. I've done the first 4 miles or so of that hike, and about 2 miles into the trail, it starts getting steep, but you know how it goes: you start feeling good and first thing you know, you're running. Probably take the same approach on all the longer stuff that i've not yet done. Years ago, before i left the valley, we'd run all the way from hwy 74 near the Sugar Loaf cafe back to Cathedral City on what we called Dunn Road. Could probably run the whole thing now, too, but won't know until i've seen it again. I run most of the Lykken trail out and back, except for the steep switch backs at each end. Maybe 15 or 20% of the Bump & Grind on the way up, and all of it down. Like my grandpa used to say, i'm not ready to kick the bucket yet, but i ain't no spring chicken either... :)) Thanks for the welcome.

Postby Vadosian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm very glad that there is a great forum for our local mountain activities.
The San Jacinto's have been a home to me ever since I can remember. Kind of a cradle in the sky! While growing up, we used to have a really neat cabin up in Idyllwild, made up of mostly rough hewn lumber located on Point of Rocks Drive. I have spent many memorable moments there and have hiked most of the trails on the mountain.

Now, having turned the mid-forties in my life, I usually try to balance my alpine activities with underground ones - caving!

Still, when I can, I make as many trips up the mountain to revisit my favorite special places! The only trip that I have left undone is to do the North Face while iced up.

If anyone is curious about my screen name, just look up 'vadose' in your geo books! It's also like a name you would see on 'Star Trek', that's why I chose it.

Finally, I would like to meet up with any of you folks for some hiking, especially snowshoeing this winter.

Jim Newman, Cherry Valley.
Vadosian

Postby zippetydude » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:48 am

Hi V. Welcome.

Being a spelunker, you may find this interesting:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... LBKUH1.DTL

z
zippetydude

Welcome

Postby Snowhiker » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:26 am

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you.
Snowhiker

Postby wingding » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:47 pm

Vadosian: I love riding the tram up in the winter to do some snowshoeing (I always call it tramshoeing). I hope to run into you and everyone else up there.

Kathy
wingding

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains