Pacific Crest trail Adventure

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:45 am

Here is a topic that should be of interest to Mt San Jacinto Forum readers -
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=1166
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi Cy. Regarding your Snow Creek question on the other forum, if you park on the main road leading into Snow Creek off the 111, you'll want to park just before the sign for Snow Creek - as I recall it's kind of an A shaped thing. Follow the road right by it, staying to your left. The PCT is actually the small paved road for about a mile, then there is a very clear sign showing where the trail begins on your right. There's a drinking fountain there - you can't miss it.

By the way, compared to C2C, it's much the same and very different.

The same: It's similar topography working its way up from desert to alpine climes. The PCT has similar views to Skyline, though they are potentially even a little better. It leads up to the San J peak.

The differences: It's beautifully graded - you can run the whole thing if you like - I've run the first 11 miles without stopping, where as I can't run the first 1/10 of Skyline without having to drop to a rock/stair climb motion. It's also much easier to come down for the same reason. Of course, because of this, it's much longer as well. I've only gone about 11 miles (because I've always turned around and had to run the 11 back down, and around 20 is as much as is fun before my feet get really sore). You're just starting to get into trees at ll miles, though they are very sparse there, and don't build up to forest for what appears to be another mile or two. I think it's 29 miles to the peak, but I'm not sure on that. I'll check later and edit this post.

I drove from the other side up the the Black Mountain trailhead to the PCT on Labor Day Weekend, and the trail towards the peak from there is beautiful forest. There's apparently a really amazing view point about 1/4 of a mile down the road from where the PCT comes in, but there was a crowd there so I didn't stop. This would be a good place to cache some water or gatorade, but the drive is a pain. It took me almost 1/2 hour from the 243, and it's 12 winding, rough dirt road miles.

I'm definitely wanting to do this as a longer, smoother version of C2C this fall - going up to the peak then taking the tram down and biking back over to Snow Creek. If you'd like to do the first couple of miles together, it would be a great time to hike together and enjoy a little company on the trail.

Email me or post if you have any questions or want to check it out together or with a group.

z
zippetydude

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:15 am

Zippedydude - Thanks for your great description of the PCT from Snow Creek.
It was very detailed. I was thinking of going part way to get some different pictures. They wont be as good as Snow Creek itself but should definately be worth it. My friend Rob M (Yichus) is also interested. It would be great to get a little group together. Now is a good time before the tram re opens. Later this year would be good too. Outdoorsclub.org did it this spring, but I could not go on that day. I think a fast group and a slow group might be a good idea.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains