Which hike is better?

General Palm Springs area.

Which hike is better?

Postby ximphony » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:58 am

I don't get a chance to get out to the San Gorgonio Wilderness area much- the only hike I've done there is San G via Vivian Creek. I was wondering if those of you who hike around there often could tell me which would be a better hike for me to do next weekend (I guess my main purpose for this hike is to train for C2C).

- San Bernardino Peak (from Angelus Oaks)
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/SanBern ... k_4472.asp

- San Bernardino Ridge from Momyer Creek
http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/MomyerCreek_4472.asp

Or if there's some other hike around there that is even better than these, besides San G of course (I wanna try something new).

Any thoughts?
ximphony

Postby zippetydude » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:01 am

Hi Ximphony.

I would recommend either San Bernardino Peak or perhaps the Forsee Creek trail up to Anderson Flat (which you can then take up to a couple of different peaks that are close by) before I would do Momyer. I have done Momyer a couple of times, and it is hot, dry, full of buckthorn, and reminds me of the Blair Witch Project. Some seem to like it, but I'm really not sure why.

On the other hand, SB Peak has amazing views, and a great water source just above Limber Pine Bench. Forsee is nice also, and Anderson Flat sits on the ridge just above 10,000 feet and is peaceful and quiet. Both are very nice. Forsee is a bit farther up the 38.

Of course, South Fork is an excellent trail, though there are a few more people on it, so if you like solitude it may not be your first choice. Still, if you do South Fork you can go by Dry Lake on your way, which is very beautiful.

z
zippetydude

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Well, I posted both of those hikes, and I like Momyer, but Zip is right - it is hot and more than just kind of thorny. It's a leg ripper. Don't wear shorts! San Bernardino is nicer and lusher, but Momyer is probably more like the conditions you will face on C2C. Hot, spiky, and steep. It is unmaintained, though very easy to follow.

Blair witch :shock:

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:15 pm

Oh, that was me above. I thought I had already registered for this place, but I guess not. Hello, everyone!

Postby kngalaric » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:16 pm

Let me try again. Hello it is me, kngalaric.
kngalaric

Which is better for training to do c2c

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:52 am

Welcome to this forum knglaric. Your feedback will be very welcome.
Three good hikes to train for c2c are the Vivian Creek trail to San Gorgonio - The Bear Canyon trail from Baldy Village to Baldy - or at least half way up Skyline.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:34 pm

i've actually done the bear canyon trail, down it anyway, (i usually approach baldy from wrightwood), the trail is really nice and its not heavily used, if at all. Its been 5 years, it may be overgrown in places now? does anybody know? hm...maybe i'll give it a try.
the trail is really good training for the skyline, as it is a no- no sense trail, which basically means that its uphill all the way with no downs. Which is like cactus to clouds. The climb to the slickrock is similar to the climb from the village to baldy.
marmot

Postby RV » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:24 am

We hiked the Bear Canyon Trail a number of times this year as part of our training program for Whitney. There are some brushy areas in the switchbacks just above Bear Flat but, overall, this trail is in excellent shape. No worries and a great hike and a solid workout.
RV

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains