Anyone going up Skyline on 10/14?

General Palm Springs area.

Anyone going up Skyline on 10/14?

Postby ximphony » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 pm

I know this might be a bit early, but is anyone planning to hike Skyline Trail up to the tram on Saturday 10/14 (this is the first Saturday after the tram re-opens)?

I will be doing the full C2C that day, and unfortunately all my friends are just going to do the top part only. I'm not really looking for someone to hike with (although I certainly wouldn't mind if our paces were similar), I would just feel more comfortable if I knew others were gonna be on the trail that day, since this is my first time on SanJ/Skyline and I respect the potential dangers of hiking alone on that trail.

Also, I am planning to start from PS around 4:00am carrying about 6L of water, and arrive at the upper tram at around 10-11ish (it took me 6 hours last month to go from Whitney Portal to the summit). For you veterans out there, does this sound fairly reasonable? Would 4am be a pretty good starting time? Is the trail fairly easy to follow in the dark with a headlamp?

Thanks!
ximphony

Postby zippetydude » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:24 pm

I'll probably be going up, leaving somewhere from 4:00 to 5:00. I think several others are already planning trips also, especially since the tram will just be reopening at that point.

Most leave a bit earlier, but I think your timing is perfect - you'll get a great view of the valley lights while it's still dark, you'll enjoy a beautiful sunrise, and you'll have good light to help you find your way at the top. (Incidentally, the last mile or so is a little sketchy, so if you come across someone towards the end of the trail who can hike with you that last bit, it might make the pathfinding somewhat easier.)

It sounds like you made good time on Whitney, so you'll probably be arriving at Long Valley right in the time frame that you're thinking.

I'll keep an eye out for you - we'll probably see each other somewhere along the trail.

z
zippetydude

Postby RV » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:30 pm

It's looking like we will probably do this trail on the 14th as well with a goal of going all the way to the peak this time. Cy, I know you stay in touch with this board and will read this post. We were planning on going up with you on the 28th but I just found out that I will be traveling to Singapore that day so we will not be able to make it.

I would expect that we will begin somewhere around 3:00 or 4:00 AM. We have hiked this trail before with headlamps and it is very easy to follow.

We look forward to meeting some of you!

RV
RV

...Ocober 14th

Postby Mapilo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:42 pm

I too will be with a group doing the enitre hike on the 14th......Even though we have done this numerous times and this will number 2 for 2006; we are planning to depart Ramone Drive Portal at 200am !!!.......sounds like we might have alot of welcomed traffic on this date...se ya all there !!!!

....and your time to Whitney summitt is indeed a great time.........you should have zero problems......

Mapilo
Mapilo

Skyline on 10-14

Postby Michael T » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:59 pm

I know that Cy is leading a group, myself included, on the 14th to do the entire Cactus to Clouds. We plan an early start though, leaving the museum parking lot at 12:30am. Since you want to leave around 4:00am, we'll probably see you around the peak somewhere. It looks like there will be lot's of people on the trail that day. Michael T.
Michael T

Cactus to Clouds on 10/14

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:03 pm

Last year when I made it to the peak, it took me 12 hours up and three and a half back to the tram. There are a couple of people in Michael's group that are slower than I am. That is the reason for the 12.30 am start. We will all meet up somewhere on the trail above the tram. I am lucky that I can sleep on Friday afternoon. For those of you working, it is more important to get sleep and start later.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:52 pm

By the way, if you get up to Long Valley before the tram starts running, it's totally empty and very quiet. I left a little early once, and accidentally ended up in the valley before the first tram - the whole place was deserted. One of the tram operators said she's seen a herd of deer in the valley when the tram isn't operating. After a couple of weeks off, I would think we may have a chance to see some. That would be a nice bonus.

z
zippetydude

excellent!

Postby ximphony » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:35 am

That's great- it's comforting to know that a bunch of you veterans will be in the vicinity that morning :) I look forward to hopefully meeting all of you up there. Cheers!
ximphony

Postby marmot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:32 pm

i want to hike c2c with two friends of mine that weekend, if everything works out, i will probably get minimum sleep if i decide to do so. It sounds like a fun trip.
marmot

Postby marmot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:36 pm

zippetydude, i took a camping trip to round valley once, and on the way back from mt. san jacinto, i wandered off trail to go a more direct route down to round valley (very uniform area- easy to get lost in). On the way, i saw tons of deer, so its not surprising that the san jacintos have a lot of deer.
marmot

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains