Tram Maintenance and Skyline/c2c in October

General Palm Springs area.

Tram Maintenance and Skyline/c2c in October

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:45 am

The tram will be closed for maintenance from Sept 15 to Oct 9 they estimate.
On October the 7 th would anyone be willing to leave a car or van at Humber Park so we can hike out to Idyllwild? I will also ask the Sierra Club.
The topic Skyline Trail in September should now read Skyline Trail/c2c in September and October.
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

October 7th Skyline

Postby flat foot » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:46 am

Hi Cy

I'm looking into the option of scheduling a pick-up at Humber Park on the 7th (we'd have 2 extra seats). How may miles/hours do you think that will add? If you leave from the Museum trail at midnight and all goes well when do you think you'd get to Idyllwild (approx.)?

Teresa
flat foot

Tramway Maintenance and Skyline/c2c in October

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi Teresa - I have never hiked to Idyllwild so I dont know the exact distance. I would think its about eight or nine miles from the tram at Long Valley. I have seen a trail to Idyllwild from Round Valley. Someone might know a better way. It takes me about seven and a half hours from the museum to the tram. If the Sierra Club does not do this, I will have to rely on someone else. I have a group of at least ten the week after.
It was great hiking to the tram under a full moon yesterday. I never used my flashlight.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:07 pm

I ran a quick program on my topo software - it shows 7.31 miles from the tram to Humber Park, and the elevation is a mostly steady downhill with a little mild uphill. You probably have a typical speed you can apply to get a good estimate. Great idea - hope you have fun.

z
zippetydude

Postby marmot » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:47 pm

in my experience with the topo program, it underestimates a lot. I would multiply the distance by some constant. For instance, topo a trail that youve been on before, and compare it to the actual distance travelled, and set up a ratio. unfortunately, not a trails are the same like that. And the program does "try" to be as accurate as possible with the input.
marmot

C2C exit at Humber Park

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:03 pm

I decided it's best to hike this section of trail before I committed to adding to my Oct. 7th C2C hike, so I checked it out on Friday and think it's do-able.

Does anyone know of a reliable water source(s) between Long Valley and Wellman's Divide? Most of the streams near the trail were almost dried up two weeks ago when I was there. Round Valley was running but not that well and I've heard the water is nasty there?

Re: C2C exit at Humber Park

Postby Pilgrim » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone know of a reliable water source(s) between Long Valley and Wellman's Divide? Most of the streams near the trail were almost dried up two weeks ago when I was there. Round Valley was running but not that well and I've heard the water is nasty there?

Round Valley is the only reliable source if you go that way. The only reason I can think of that some people would call the water there nasty is a reported case of Giardia earlier this year. I've been drinking the water there for years (using a filter) and it terms of taste and clarity, its fine. If you don't mind a small detour, you can head up towards Tamarack Valley, there is a stream crossing there as you enter the camping zone there that may be still flowing.

If you are going to Humber Park, down in the Federal Wilderness, a mile detour to Tahquitz Valley will find you water (see my post under Water Updates). Also one of the springs on Devils Slide Trail was still slightly flowing last weekend.
"So we are probably about where this pebble is, 2 inches off the edge of the map."
Pilgrim

Postby Rinat » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:53 pm

The shortest way to get from the summit will be to follow the Marion Mountain Trail. See http://www.summitpost.org/route/155918/ ... ntain.html. It is ~6 ml of the well defined trail. And it is ~6-7 ml to the north-east from Idyllwild.
Rinat

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains