Missing Hiker at San Jacinto Peak

General Palm Springs area.

Missing Hiker at San Jacinto Peak

Postby Cy Kaicener » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:04 am

A Moreno Valley hiker is the subject of an intense search near San Jacinto Pk
http://www.rmru.org/missions/2006/2006-022.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Perry » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:31 am

Here is some information that might help anybody searching. This is only word-of-mouth, so I don't have any opinion on the validity of any details. My friend is not a state park staff member or volunteer. Here's what he told me:

"Hi Perry,
The guys name is Wesley, he's 40's, 200 lbs., very poor hearing, wears 2 hearing aids, batteries might be dead by now.
He & friend hiked to peak Mon, got seperated close to the top.
[state park] & RMRU & Sheriff's S & R have looked in most areas.
I saw searchers coming down east of Tamarack as I was going up, north of Sid Davis drainage, I went north of Tamarack to edge of ridge & up to Miller, through the boulders.
2 chopers were up at Jean & San Jac looking, other guys were looking in other areas like Willow creek.
2 others came down the ranger route, as did [person] & [person], I came down south of that.
There's posters in areas like mtn st. & ranger st. with his photo.
Here has done some hiking & hunting, seems to be in decent shape from what I know, I imagine it ok to post this, most of it was on the news anyway. Command post is in lower lot."

By process of elimination, my guess is that he took a wrong turn and headed towards Little Round Valley, or he went the wrong way at Wellman's Divide, or followed the Long Valley Creek into Tahquitz Canyon which is fairly common. Yelling "Wesley" probably won't help. If anybody knows any information, please call the Idyllwild state park ranger station at 951 659-2607 or the tram at 760-325-1391. Or call 911 if it's an emergency situation.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:25 am

They found him alive and well. I'm not sure where because I'm hearing different stories. The newspaper said it was a ravine near snow creek, but a friend told me he went down to little round valley which is not the same thing. :?
Perry
Site Admin

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains