Skyline this weekend

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline this weekend

Postby Jobunn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:47 pm

A muddy of mine and I are doing Skyline to the summit on Saturday morning. It will be the first time we have done it all the way to the summit. We will be on the trail by 3:30am. Anyone else going this weekend? This will probably be the last time I can do it this year otherwise I'd wait until the temps get below 100 degrees.
Jobunn

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:04 pm

I did it! We hit the trail at 3:45 am on Sunday. We were at Long Valley at 11:30 am, on top of San Jacinto peak at 3:45 pm and back at the tram at about 7:00 pm. Just a bit over 15 hours total time.

I felt great except for the last section below Long Valley where my quads cramped up and the elevation got to me so bad that every 10 steps I had to rest. But I regrouped and rewatered at Long Valley and we were on top of the mountain a few hours later. On our way up to Round Valley we were met by disappointed hikers that were turned back by the forest service at Round Valley because of hail and lightning on the mountain. We did not want to come all this way again and not do the full "cactus to clouds" hike. Luckily by the time we got to Round Valley the forest service signed our passes and let us through with just a warning. So we charged up the mountain and were met with rain, thunder and about 20 minutes of pea size hail. We took some pictures, waited in the hut for a half hour so we wouldnt get too wet and cold and then headed down. The 5.5 miles down seemed like one of the longest sections because we were so spent physically and mentally. When i do this hike again it will be after a few weeks of stairmaster...as so many of the descriptions indicate, "it is a toughie!"

Skyline trail - Sept 9

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:57 pm

I am considering going this Saturday but much earlier. I am waiting for my friend Robie to let me know. It is supposed to cool down a lot this week end.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby jobunn » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:13 am

We were very surprised to have a nice cool breeze around 8am that lasted for over an hour in an area of the hike that we expected to be much hotter. (this was also the area that we were passed by speedy a hiker named "George" who started the hike an hour after us but finished well before).
jobunn

Skyline this weekend

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Jobunn - I am going this Saturday leaving the museum just before 2 am
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Skyline trail this week end

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:02 pm

I just got back from Skyline. The weather was cool, and there were no critters or insects. The full moon was so bright that I did not need my flashlight.
It took me almost eight hours and I did not see any other people. I was freezing at the half way point. The tram will not be running from Sept 15 to Oct
9th
Cy Kaicener

Postby Jobunn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:05 pm

Sounds like a nice day for the hike. Sorry i didnt get your post earlier but i had too much to do today anyway.

I would like to do the hike in the cold and see what i difference it makes. Last weekend i was sweating more in the first 2 hours than at any other point on the hike and that was in the dark.
Jobunn

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains