c2c June 23

General Palm Springs area.

c2c - June 23

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:40 pm

Its a good thing hikin Jim managed to contact you. I tried the Contact Lee hyperlink on hiking.meetup.com but must have done something wrong which is not the first time since my computer skills leave a lot to be desired.
I dont know whether to congratulate you on establishing a new record on Skyline, but your perserverence is commendable. At what time did you get to the tram? The Desert Sun said that someone reached the tram at 7.30 pm on Saturday but I do not know if that was the missing hiker. rmru.org usually describes all their rescues on their website but has kept quiet about this latest rescue.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby lee » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 pm

Thank you, Jim.

Cy, I got to the tram around 8:45pm and boarded the 9pm tram down.

And I have posted 923 of the 1,014 pictures I took on shutterfly:
http://leeland.shutterfly.com/
Shutterfly limits 250 pictures per album so I have 4 albums:
2007.06.24 Skyline hike (1) - 250 pictures
2007.06.24 Skyline hike (2) - 248 pictures
2007.06.24 Skyline hike (3) - 248 pictures
2007.06.24 Skyline hike (4) - 179 pictures
Warning: unless you have absolutely nothing to do, please don't go through them :) If you do go through them and see that I missed certain significant Skyline landmarks, please let me know and I will go back to get them :)

Now I will work on the 1,110+ pictures I took on the hike from the tram to San Jacinto Peak so I can torture/bore everyone here with them :)
lee
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: San Diego

c2c - June 23

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for the pictures. Over 1000 pictures. Thats amazing. That has to be some kind of a record also. Now I can see why it took you so long. :) If anyone ever contacts me about writing a book on this trail, I will know where I can look for pictures if thats okay with you.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby lee » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:21 am

No problem, Cy. I will get a signed copy of the book, right? :)
lee
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: San Diego

c2c - June 23

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 am

Absolutely right Lee, but I dont know anything about writing. Cynthia is the journalist and is collecting data as we communicate.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:22 am

Wow! I don't think anybody else has taken 2,000+ photos of C2C. When I finally get around to updating the online hiking guide, I'll have to link to that... Among those 1,000 Skyline photos there's gotta be one of "tit rock," which I've heard people talk about but never seen. There's also a "phallic rock" in the Shangri La area. :D
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:42 am

I am pretty sure "tit rock" is just at the top of the big middle ridge, i.e. about 4000 feet, to the right or west of the trail. It is a large cone shaped rock formation with a "cherry" one top .... er ... you get the picture.

I haven't noticed the phallic formation, but there is a definite "labial" formation at about 2000 feet.

Other weird shapes--a "troll" around 3000, a golf cart, a penguin--wait, maybe those are just my hallucinations ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:54 am

Would that be Madonna's rock?

On the tram ride, you can see a sillouette of Lincoln in the copperish-rusty colors on a rock face.
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby Perry » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:00 pm

This?
http://leeland.shutterfly.com/action/sl ... 3489097301

If that's it, I'm kind of disappointed. :(
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby lee » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:06 pm

Cy, I would start writing right away if I were you. Your best comes when you yourself want to do it. Whatever comes to your mind and worry about chronological order and sequence later. If/when you feel you can't manage all that you have written, I am sure Cynthia can recommend some writing software to help you organize your materials and solidify them into the book you want. If you have not already been doing it, I would start keeping a journal after each hike. Do you know Philip Ferranti? He invited a bunch of us from San Diego out to his house in Coachella Valley for a tour of his favourite 'slot canyons' this past February:
http://urbanexplor.meetup.com/62/photos/134760/1085321/
I posted 485 :) pictures in 5 albums there

Perry, Thank you for this site and the site on geocities. I had actually tried not to read too much for fear that I would get intimidated out of the hike. Now that I survived, I am reading both sites carefully to prepare for the next trip :) About the pictures, I take pictures of basically everything in sight, especially the unusual. On Skyline, I took less and less pictures toward the end. Now I feel a little disappointed at that but I was simply too exhausted to care at the time. I will make notes of the unusual things people post here that I missed. By the way, if I may know, what GPS device did you use to get the track for the 'aerial view' picture on your geocities site?
lee
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: San Diego

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests