Skyline/C2C first attempt ?s

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:10 pm

SS, Hal, and Cynthia have some good training ideas, especially since a lot of the training hikes I mentioned won't open up for a while -- there's a lot of ice and snow up there. Keep your eyes on the wx. If it it's good weather some of the desert hikes sound like they'd be great. If it's getting hot, you might see if some of those other hikes I mentioned are clear of ice and snow. Definitely stress training.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby tinaballina » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Hello Adam,

I would suggest partials as well, March and April should be beautiful to do these in.
:)
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Postby marmot » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:07 pm

agreed, baldy village to mt baldy (also known as the bear flats) is a classic! great trail. On the hike, you also pass through several different vegetation regions, and rarely anybody hikes it because its the hard way.

I would also like to add that the hike up bear flats is short, and it does feel short. I think its because you walk a relatively easy trail until bear flats, and your already at 6200', and before you know it, your at 7500', atop the rise behind bear flats campground. only 2500' to go, and it goes pretty quickly because the ridge is so dang steep.

Skyline though, seems a lot longer and is a lot longer. Instead of just a couple rises to go over, like the case of bear flats, you have several different rises to over on the skyline.
marmot
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: LA

Postby Kevin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:47 am

I don't wish to hijack trekadam's thread, but was wondering if there are experienced C2C hikers who also do Whitney in a day, and if they're like to make a comparison? I realize there's difference in elevation, conditions, temps, route finding, etc, but at the end of the day - what does your body tell you?

Thanks.
User avatar
Kevin
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Skyline/c2c first attempts

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 am

Kevin - I would say Skyline or c2c is a lot harder because there is a lot more elevation gain and you need to carry more water. Whitney might seem harder because of the high elevation especially if you dont sleep at Whitney Portal the night before.
Someone from this board said he might do Skyline today and give us a trip report. I want to keep it secret until he posts his T/R. :)
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
User avatar
Cy Kaicener
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 3:50 am
Location: Rialto, California, USA

Postby AlanK » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:17 am

Kevin wrote:I don't wish to hijack trekadam's thread, but was wondering if there are experienced C2C hikers who also do Whitney in a day, and if they're like to make a comparison? I realize there's difference in elevation, conditions, temps, route finding, etc, but at the end of the day - what does your body tell you?

One key difference is tha altitude. If you are prepared and do not have problems with altitude, Whitney is definitely easier than C2C (Palm Springs to summit to tram). They're about the same length but C2C has a lot more elevation gain and the Skyline part is a lot steeper.

Comparing to Skyline (Palm Springs to the tram) is less meaningful. Ths Whitney hike is twice as long and the difference in elevation gain is ot so large. Also, the pounding of 11 miles of downhill on Whitney is a lot worse. I'd call that comparison a tossup.
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby marmot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:40 am

in my opinion, the skyline is harder than the whitney trail. the whitney trail is highly maintained, but the skyline isnt. The whitney trail can also be extended into two days because there are water resources nearby.

the skyline is harder because of the heat. shall i say more?
marmot
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm
Location: LA

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks for the feedback -
User avatar
Kevin
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm

Postby doug m. » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:16 pm

Kevin wrote:I don't wish to hijack trekadam's thread, but was wondering if there are experienced C2C hikers who also do Whitney in a day, and if they're like to make a comparison? I realize there's difference in elevation, conditions, temps, route finding, etc, but at the end of the day - what does your body tell you?

Thanks.


i think that the whitney mountaineer's route is harder than c2c because of: the elevation, route-finding, the route gets harder the higher you go- sketchy climb (and descent) below the peak, and no tram. however, it is shorter in length. it has a fraction of the people on the mule trail; i highly recommend it. unfortunately, i think it's more regulated as of this year, so check the whitney portal board for info.
go light, go fast , go get me a beer.
doug m.
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:54 pm

Postby Jennifer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm

I've done both. Whitney 12 times, C2C 4 times. Whitney is by far the tougher climb for most people. Roughly same distance, but more altitude gain on C2C doesn't mean as much because the altitude you are gaining doesn't come anywhere close to the altitude you will deal with on Whitney.

I assume you are comparing them as a day hike.

I can go uphill (gain altitude) all day long at sea level.

Whitney starts a little lower than C2C ends.

I don't know anybody that has turned around on C2C because of altitude sickness, but maybe somebody has. The altitude you are gaining
isn't that tough, just walking uphill.

I think most people would find it harder to hike at 14,000 feet or higher just carrying themselves, than they would at much lower elevation carrying xtra water.

Just my 2 C2Cents

BTW - Neither hike is all that tough.
Jennifer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests