Law's Cabin

General Palm Springs area.

Law's Cabin

Postby Ken7 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I have heard that part of the footing for George Law's cabin is located near Law's Junction. Can anyone give me information that would help me find it? For example, if I were hiking down to Law's Junction from the Willow Creek Trail, is the footing on the left or right side of the trail and is it before or after the junction? About how far is the footing from the trail?
Ken7
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Law's Cabin

Postby hykurs » Fri May 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Hi Ken7 - Law's cabin or what is left of it does exist but half the fun is in finding it. :D There are at least two other foundations from old cabins up there. I was told by a ranger that cowboys would spend the summer up there grazing their cattle. I can send you direction via email if you want. Larry
larry
User avatar
hykurs
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:10 pm

Postby halhiker » Mon May 12, 2008 11:02 am

I found the remains of Law's Cabin while going X country from the Tram. How I got there was from the High Trail to Round Valley. Before the trail comes into contact with the main Round Valley Trail, I went south up over the ridge and dropped down into the Willow Creek drainage below Wellman's Cienega. Once in the drainage the remains of the cabin are easy to spot. Harder to find is the pantry which still contains some provisions. We then went upstream until we hit the trail to Wellman Divide It's a nice area of the mountain and on the trip down from the ridge we spooked one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen.

I haven't been there in years but I think that'll give me a place to go explore again on my next trip up to the mountain.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

Postby Ken7 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Thank you Larry and HalHiker. I am sure it will be fun to look for the old cabin sites.
Ken7
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 13, 2008 7:25 am

I think the cabin that Hal is talking about is not Law's Cabin. I think it's Wel lman's Cabin.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby hykurs » Tue May 13, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Ken - I think Hikin_Jim is correct. It's in the Lower Basin near what used to be Yellow Post #1. If you follow my directions you will find it. Have fun... :D
larry
User avatar
hykurs
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:10 pm

Postby halhiker » Wed May 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Jim is right: my bad. I have been to Law's cabin, too and it's pretty easy to find.

I have also been to the Wellman cabins at Mad Women Spring and Oak Canyon. Does anyone know if there are any more?
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests