Our plan is to take 10 or 12 Boy Scouts on Tram up and then hike into Round Valley on Saturday, spend the night and then hike out on Sunday. I have done this hike in summer and know that 2 mile hike in has (c) 500-600' elevation gain, but no exposure to outside ridges as trail winds its way up to Round Valley
New snow is expected Wed/Thurs this week so I know that even with GPS, map and compass, trail will likely be obscured. Who/where is best source for current weather conditions and forecasts?
We will all have cable-style crampons and will also rent snow shoes and poles if someone does not bring their own when we get to the top. We will have at least 2 ice axes (with hammer on other end for stakes), 100' of climbing rope along with winter backpacking gear.
Is there any other winter gear that you would recommend?
I am also thinking that we may need additional stakes for tents. Any recommendations?
