SGWA Website

General Palm Springs area.

SGWA Website

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:28 am

Some of you may have noticed that the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association has a new website. It seems to follow a basic principle of organizational websites, which is that over time it becomes less functional for visitors. The discussion board seems to have disappeared.

https://www.sgwa.org/
Ed

Re: SGWA Website

Postby chowursa » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:44 am

Thanks for starting a thread on this... OMG it totally sucks. Completely not user friendly. & I never liked how they changed the trail conditions section. I sent an email & this was their reply: 'It's just an update, everything but the forum is still there, we are working on putting in a forum...' . We'll see :roll:
chowursa

Postby Sally » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:31 am

The first hiking forum I ever joined was the SGWA Website back in 2008. It was fun, easy, friendly, and, best of all, they turned me on to this San Jacinto forum. Over the next few years it became to be more difficult to navigate, unfriendly, and eventually for some reason there was a glitch where I couldn't log on. Now they have a Facebook page that seems to be run by a bunch of elite local snobs who will jump down your throat just for asking a simple question regarding conditions, permits and accessability. Such a shame! I love our Mt. San Jacinto Outdoor Recreation forum, where members treat each other with respect and kindness while providing an excellent resource for learning about all things having to do with the San Jacintos and beyond.
Sally

Postby Sally » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm

I apologize, I was a bit harsh in my previous post. I didn’t mean to show disrespect to the hard working members of the San Gorgonio Wilderness Association. I guess I’m just disappointed that some of the people participating in the discussions on the FB page are a bit rude. The one thread that really got me annoyed appears to have been removed.
Sally

Postby Ed » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:26 am

Sally,

I had the same experience with the SGWA Forum, something happened to my username and password, and I could not register again with the same username. So they had lost it but not lost it.

My main problem with them was that in the name of harmony they adopted a policy of censoring anything critical of Forest Service decisions and policies. SGWA also seemed very stubborn about protocols for wilderness permits. There was a period when you could download the form, but had to fax it back. Faxes were old hat by then, it baffled me that you could not scan the signed form and email it back. And they would only process the faxes during their Visitor Center hours. Probably because that is where the fax machine was.

I admire and appreciate the trail maintenance people, who have to deal with so many fallen trees after every winter. I am not so sure of the rest of SGWA.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains